300D/RemoteCapture Transfer Speeds--How can you stand it?!

ntiberius

Alright, I've had my 300D for a few months now, but I've only just

tried using the RemoteCapture software. The camera is acceptably

responsive to the "Release" button on the computer, and still works

with the remote. But man does it take FOREVER to transfer a RAW

image! For some reason I thought the 300D had USB2.0 output, but

apparently not.

I just wanted to check that I'm not the only one who has to deal with

the insufferable slowness of the file tranfers. Any advice, aside

from shooting in JPEG?

Not being at home with my computer, I was under the impression remote capture could retrieve images from a card reader. If not, sorry. <P>I used remote capture for about a day before using photoshop CS or earlier version to download images. With CS you can download the images and process your raw images and I personally am pleased with the file browser that comes with it. CS is a rather large investment, but if you are serious about your digital darkroom, it is one of, if not the best programs out there.

Remote capture is when you directly connect your camera to your computer, view what the viewfinder sees (on your computer screen), adjust lighting, and such in the studio, and capture the picture through the computer. The image is "immediatly" transferred to the computer (in quotes because of Neils experience).

Photoshop CS (or the like) is still used for post-processing and file browsing if you so choose. Remote capture is used for capturing...remotely.

What I do with my 10D, which has the same, infuriating problem, is to shoot Small/Normal until I have everything set up exactly as I want it. Then, once I know that I have everything right, I switch to RAW.

Of course, this doesn't work so well if what you're shooting moves on its own...

<i>...connect your camera to your computer, view what the viewfinder sees (on your computer screen)...</i><p>Not quite. Even with RemoteCapture, you need to actually take the picture before you can view it on the computer screen. Until then, the mirror and shutter are still blocking the sensor.