jan_bremnes

Hi!

I've got a pretty annoying problem with one of my lenses. When I

attach my 50mm K-mount lens to my camera (ME-Super), the camera

refuses to measure the light correctly. It insists on exposing at

1/60 when there's light enough for 1/125. It seems that the meter is

reading the light as if the lens is stopped down to f22, or more. I'm

not sure about this, haven't got the pictures I took trying to

compensate for this, back from development.

When I attach the lens, I don't get the normal "click", first I hear

a deeper click, when it's about halfway on, then the normal click

comes.

My other lenses are M42 with adapter, so I haven't had the chance to

check if it's the lens or the camera there's something wrong with.

So, does anyone know what's causing this? Had the same problem? Ever

heard of the same problem?

Thanks!

-Jan bremnes

If it works well with the K-mount adapter and screw mount lenses, than the light-meter should be OK.

You should check first the lens, if the two levers at its back are and move OK (one of them moves when turning the aperture ring), and if there is some oil on the aperture blades.

Than you should check the levers inside the camera's bayonet mount. I guess by the first click you hear at half mounting the lens, that the aperture lever on the lens does not couple with the aperture lever on the camera, and the camera reads the light like the aperture would have been completely closed. If this is the cause, you can easily correct it: just push the lever on the camera to correct its position. It has to be oriented in the same direction with the lens, to the front. Do it with care and it will work fine.

The same symptom occurs with some cheap K-mount adapters too, because these have no cam to couple to the aperture lever on the camera. The same can happen when the levers on a K-mount lens and on the camera are not coupling together.

• 4 weeks later...

Whoops! Sorry I haven't replied before... forgot about this thread somehow.

I tried fiting another K-mount lens on the camera and it worked just fine, so I figured, logically, that the problem is confined to the lens. (I'm smart ain't I? =))

The two levers on the back of the lens seems to work fine, but it seems like something has broken of one of them. Not the aperture lever, but the other one...

Anyhow, it's not that big a problem, usually have time on my side when using that lens, and now I know what aperture it insists on having so I just need a little time to adjust the shutter speed and it works just fine.

Thanks for your help!