MF questions for newbie

rick_falck

Well, I went ahead and bought a used Pentax 645, 45-85 zoom, and 35mm

lens. I just shot my first 120 roll and will get them tomorrow.

What is a good glass slide mount that I can use that can be re-used?

Since they are expensive, and I throw away 80% of the pics after

viewing them (I am still learning what does or does not work), I

would like to be able to re-use the mounts for the ones I discard. I

am planning to get a projector.

It does not seem that the lack of MLU will be an issue for this

camera because of its mirror cushioning system (from reading through

photo.net and photographyreview.com). Is this true when shooting in

the 1/15th through 1 sec shutter speeds? Or should I try to avoid

these speeds?

Thanks way in advance!

More questions will undoubtedly follow!

Rick,

I can't answer the glass mount part of your question as I have no experience with them. In regards to shutter speeds the mirror cushioning system does its job. I use Velvia for most of my work and am usually within the 1 sec. to 1/15 sec. range that you mention and have never noticed a problem even with macro work. Just make sure you use an adequate tripod.

The mirror lock up at slow speeds may be useful with a 300mm or longer lens, but I havn't needed it with my 35 through 150mm lenses. I do not use a projector and instead have a quality 6X loupe and a light table for examining slides and negs. I have a 15X magnifier to check out those I may want to make very large prints of.

Hi Rick,

I use Wess glass mounts for my 645-format slides, and like them very much. They are plastic with thin glass inserts, and can be reopened as often as you like. I agree with the suggestion above, however, that you should review your slides first and then only mount your keepers...the glass mounts have to be cleaned before use and the slides meticulously dusted before placing them into the mounts, and it would be a considerable pain to go through this process for each and every slide prior to editing. It takes me about 5 minutes to prepare each slide. Like 35mm, the 645 mounts will slightly crop the edges of your image, and you can make slight variations in positioning the slide to "fine-tune" before closing the mount. When you see your MF slides projected, it will be worth all the trouble!

Regards,

Danny Burk www.dannyburk.com