Seeking advice from digi cam guru's. (relating to smaller P & S camera's)

Hello all,

Goodmorning, or afternoon, whichever you may be enjoying at the moment of

reading. I am what you would probally call a "hobby-ist". When it comes to

photography.

Here is my question or dilema rather. I'm starting to do some research about smaller

more compact point and shoot digital cameras. Mainly for two reasons, I have a Canon

d-60 and its a 6 megapixel burger, burger, burger. But due to its size and always

carring lens' are around I never seem to gain motivation to bring it along thus missing

picture oppurtunities. So its too big, heavy, and too much of a burden. The second

reason is, it's not really allowed into places where I photograph a lot. I like to go to

concerts and they always have the rule of "non-professional" cameras only. Thus that

leaves me out cuz I wouldn't be able to get the d-60 past even the most non-

observant doormen.

So I've been conducting some research last couple of boring nights via my computer

and many, many, and many websites that review digital cameras. I thought that I had

really liked the Sony Dsc-t1. But then there are a few problems. The memory stick

dilema sounds like its a bit of a turn-off. And the fact that the lcd screen is the only

way to view the picture before hand. But I do love the size and design. Im looking for

something ultra-compact. Something that I will barely think twice about while loading

it into my backpack.

And then I took a look at the contax, the one $700 one. I forget the exact name. I

liked the simplicity of the design but from everyones review basically I guess its just

not worth the cash. And the digilux seems like an interesting option just haven't really

explored it too much because of the price range. Plus I suppose its just carrying a

leica name and not really anything to do with it.

So basically here are my parameters.

I'm looking for something that is atleast 4.0 megapixels. 5.0 would maybe be better?

But it doesn't matter in the long run really to me.

I'm looking for something compact, or ultra-compact. Size matters to me. Weight is

not a big deal.

I'm looking for something that isn't going to be an impulse buy, and or something

that will be outdated quickly. (I know thats a bit of a bad comment when buying a

digital camera) but it happens sooner rather then later with certain models I presume.

I'm looking for something that has a lot of manuel controls. I.E. I can set the

aperature/shutter. (I have yet to find one that has a "T" or a "bulb" setting. Does

anyone know of any digi cams that do? my d-60 doesn't even, or if it does I can't find

out how to use it).

I'm looking for something that has a reasobale lens.

Price range just has to be under 1000.00.

Something that takes traditional memory cards. Or atleast something I can plug into

the belkin card reader for iPod. Which I believe is ScanDisk, or Compact Flash. So

something along those lines.

I don't care about "zoom qualities" or abilities. I know they all come standard basically

with some zoom, but its not revelant to me.

Something that has the option to turn off the lcd screen to make the batteries last

longer.

Hopefully im not creating a dream digital camera in my head.

If anyone can handle reading my post and helping me I would greatly appreciate it.

And I thank you for your contributions.

Cheers!

Travis Deuel

Love Life, Live Love.

The A80 is great, but given that you're looking for something "ultra-compact" I'd steer you towards the Canon S500 (or S410 for a 4MP). You lose the manual controls offered by the A80, but gain a small and incredibly durable camera with better image quality than the T1, and it accepts a compact flash card.

A80 is 4MP. Does it matter? No RAW format, JPEG is it for stills. This could be a serious drawback for one stepping down from a D60. I'm in a similar predicament where I do not wish to take my 10D with "L" lenses overseas or on fishing trips where they may be lost or stolen. Size is not necessarily an issue with P&S.

What does the forum think about the G5 or other mfg's cameras that are at least 5MP and deliver RAW or TIFF files?

Good luck...