D70 question: how to lock focus during a continuous burst

freeside

I'm having trouble with focus on the Nikon D70.

Suppose I'm in AF-S mode, set to shoot multiple frames.

I press the shutter release halfway, lock focus on my subject, then recompose, moving the

selected focus area away from the subject. Focus remains locked on my subject, so I press

all the way and fire. I want to keep shooting multiple frames with that composition, and I

do not want the camera to helpfully refocus.

Isn't the camera supposed to keep the focus locked until I lift my finger off the button?

Right now it seems to refocus between frames.

To force it to remain focused on my subject, I can hold down the AE-L/AF-L button, or I

can flick the focus control switch to M instead of AF.

But that seems kludgy. Am I missing a CSM? Or is the AE-L/AF-L the recommended way

to do what I want? If so, I would probably set CSM15 to "AF Lock only" and CSM16 to "+

Release" --- that means the AE-L button locks focus, and the shutter release button locks

exposure, and that feels backwards.

I'm not sure if you have this option on the D70, but on the D100 you can set the AE/AF lock button to trigger AF. This way the camera doesn't focus when you press the shutter release. This is a little closer to what your looking for, but you still have to use the AE/AF Lock button.

Being left handed, this button has always been a pain in the butt for me. Since I use my left eye, my nose ends up slightly in the way of the button.