Provia 100 & Velvia 100

I'm off to Australia in a couple of weeks and I was planning on

taking 20 - 30 rolls of Provia 100. However, I've seen that Velvia

100 is available, albeit at a slightly higher price. So: How does it

compare and how do I rate it given that I set Provia to 1/3 stop over

rated speed for saturation and Velvia 50 under (at ISO 40). If I go

with Velvia, how do I rate it?

Thanks, Brendan

There were a lot of discussions last summer when Velvia 100 was released. I've used it a bit, and I rate it at ISO 100. Search the archives, and I'm sure you'll find a bunch of posts that answer your questions. I'll just note that Velvia 100 is NOT equivalent to Velvia 50 but one stop faster. It has a slightly different palette.

In some conditions Velvia 100F ( I assume that's the one you

mean - there is also a Velvia 100 available in Japan) and Provia

100F can look very different ; in bright sun they tend to look

broadly similar in my experience. Provia looks cool as soon as

you don't have warm sunlight , and in dull conditions can look

pretty drab with blue-ish shadows. They are both capable of

taking on a strong blue colour in certain types of light at the

beginning and end of the day.

I think Velvia 100F is a genuine 100 ISO film. But then a lot of

people don't think Provia 100F is quite 100ISO and rate it at 80.

So I'm a bit surprised that Provia at +1/3 on speed isn't a bit dark.

In general terms the advice has to be to use a film you know-

where you understand how it is likely to behave in different light

conditions and can react to that with filters etc. This is especially

so if (as seems possible) that either you like darkish slides or

your equipment is overexposing marginally. There's little point

ruining an important trip by using a film you don't know well

unless you're prepared to view the whole thing as a learning

experience in which case I'd be inclined to take both and

compare.

With my limited experience with Provia100F, one thing I noticed right off is the blue when using it in the shade. Actually, even the supposedly "warmer" Kodak E100SW was disappointing in shade. I haven't used Velvia50, but it is supposed to be great for shade. Can anyone comment on how Velvia100F perfoms in shade? Is a warming filter is still needed? Also, for full sunlight in the middle of the day, try Sensia100. I would bring all three films. About exposure (and/or rating the film different... same thing really) What I normally consider a good exposure for projecion is a bit too dense (dark) for scanning, especially if you are scanning yourself, so avoid underexposure (or bracket... some for projection, some for scanning)

Provia's coolnes is caused by a lack of strong yellow saturation, which is also a reason it can render accurate greens while Velvia and Astia can't.

If yo uare used to Velvia 50 I'd shoot a roll of Velvia 100 first to get used to it. I consider it to be a more saturated/contrasty version of Provia vs a replacement for RVP 50.

I never get this with Provia "bluishness"; when I shot Velvia 50, it always got so blue in cool light that it almost was like shooting tungsten balanced film. E100SW is of course warmer, but the results I've seen have often been a bit too sweet. All slide films react to shifts in color temperature, that's why one has filters.

I haven't tried velvia 100 myself, but it seems as the color balance is slightly different from provia and there's more contrast. Obviously the best choice is to try some and see if you like it.

I find Provia always comes back too strong in blue, in particular on shadow and if it involves the sea. Very too often the blue seas become dark blue. I scan and do a lot of adjustments in Photoshop but still cannot overcome the problem. I'll experiment Velvia 100F to see if it improves.

"Can anyone comment on how Velvia100F perfoms in shade? Is a warming filter is still needed?"

Oh yeah. I use an 812 and still it seems not enough sometimes.

Here is a shot taken shortly after sunset (very cold color conditions in the first place) at about 90 degrees east to where the sun set. In this one I did not use a warming filter but I did attempt to correct the blue cast in PS with limited success. So here it is.<div>007wgi-17496184.jpg.6116df1199fbee0b73850b27c7221e18.jpg</div>

I just tried a roll of Velvia 100F and used another camera with Provia 100F at the same time. The Velvia is definately warmer, in a pleasant way. The yellows and reds have more saturation but nothing over the top, while those of Provia were a bit muted and cyanisch in comparison. Also, when shooting somewhat overcast conditions, the Velvia 100F looks right how it was, while Provia 100F looks really blueish like it was even raining. Also, I am very pleased that the sodium lights at night, which come out as yellow-green with Provia, are rendered correctly by Velvia 100F (yellow-orange)!!

Now I'm using Velvia 100F instead of Provia!