Two different answers-who's right?

cyn14060

I just bought a Black Canon AE1 camera with an FD 50mm 1.8 lens,

Focal 135mm F2.2 lens and a ProSpec flash. I was told that this was

a manual camera. Tonight I find another one on e-bay just like and

read that it is automatic. Who is right?

AE=auto exposure,which isnt AF=auto focus.So this would be a manual focus,shutter priority "auto exposure" camera(which also has manual expsure).You might be confusing the two "autos".This type of auto exposure camera requires that you choose the shutter speed,and it will chooses the proper F stop.As for manual focus,you choose this.

Oftentimes manual means a camera that does not need or require a battery to power the shutter release mechanism. Some older cameras used spring power under tension to as they called it "cock" the shutter. The A series Canons were,in their day,about as automatic as they made them at the time. The exposure was set automatically, and the shutter was controlled by an electromagnet powered by a 6 volt battery. So both of these good people are sort of right,or at least they aren't wrong in the absolute sense of terms. You have to decide what 'manual' means to you as you see from the different shadings of meaning. Clear as black bean soup,I know,I know. Good camera though,Cynthia, and the black model goes well with gold or silver accessories:-) Just kidding,aloha,GS

I think this is an automatic-exposure camera that offers manually selected shutter speeds.

I can't recall if this camera works without batteries. That is, if the batteries die, do you still have the full range of shutter speeds?

Some people think of manual cameras as those that continue to function fully without batteries. Others use it to describe cameras that allow the user to set individual shutter speeds.

Either way, you have a very fine camera. I might think about replacing the Focal lens some day.

Hi Cynthia

Generally accepted definition of a 'manual' camera is one where the focus, aperture and

shutter speed are set by the user. This can be done on the AE1 along with Shutter Priority

where the shutter speed is selected and the camera calculates the optimum aperture for

that speed.

There is no Program mode (where the camera calculates everything) so the AE1 cannot be

described as 'Automatic'.

A classic camera... go and take some pictures (on manual).

Regards

Bruce Garrett

The 'auto' exposure mode on your camera is probably best described as 'semi auto'.As someone above said-you set the shutter speed and the camera chooses an aperture.

<BR>Alot of the time you can choose a shutter speed that makes the camera go for a middle of the range aperture.....and forget about changing anything until you go into dramatically different light conditions.In such a situation it is allmost totally automatic-the camera would only bother you to change the shutter speed if you go into a very dark or bright area from where you started.

<br>....But it is a good idea to learn about WHY certain shutter speed or apertures are worth choosing for each picture taking situation.....

Have fun with it!!

Cynthia,

Neither is right or wrong. When the Canon AE series was introduced, it had Auto Exposure, it was "Automatic". With time, technology has advance and more automatic features have been available. Don't think there is one generally accepted definition of automatic and if there was, it would change with the times also. Some with newer auto-everything cameras may think you have a dinosaur and others will think that you don't need the AE to do what you can do manually. In concurrence with a number of posters, learn to know what it CAN do, USE it, and enjoy.

Regards,

The AE is a manual focus camera with, what in the days when it was introduced was called, an automatic lightmeter i.e. dial in the aperture and the camera will select the speed.

Excellent camera with a well deserved reputation, as do the FD lenses.

You can find more info at these pages

http://www.canonfd.com/

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/SLRs/index.htm

enjoy the read

Thanks for all your helpful answers. Paul, I will check out those links and do some reading. I was kind of afraid I paid too much for this camera but reading what some of you have written, I have come to the conclusion that 119.00 was not all that bad for all that I got. I do plan to use this camera a lot and I really do want to learn how to use it well. I like my Rebel X and all it's auto features but I also like the challenge of doing things the "hard" way.

Cynthia,

I think that you got all of the information that you need but you should be aware that

there is a specific Canon FD forum accessible via the Forums page though not via the

pull down menu (relegated to the All/Other Forums link at the bottom. Those guys

and gals know more than is entirely healthy about the FD system :)

Seems you again got two sets of answers again. Paul K's response is the wrong way

round. You have to dial in the shutter speed and then the camera will, if the aperture

is set to "A", choose an aperture to attempt to correctly expose the picture. Most old

AE cameras work in exactly the way he specified though.