AF body for MF lenses

joe_margetts2

I have an FM3a and FM2n and some good fast manual lenses such as the

50mm 1.2AIS and 35mm f2AI.

If I wanted to get an auto focus body and start collecting a few AF

lenses, which would be the best body to start with? Which body gives

the best support to my existing MF lenses?

An F4?

Joe

The F4 has the greatest forward and backwards compatibility with Nikkor MF and AF lenses. You can use AF-S (but not VR) lenses, plus almost all Nikkor F-mount MF lenses with the F4. The F-mount on the F4 has a fold-back coupling pin that allows use of pre-1977 non-AI lenses with the F4.

<br><BR>

This is in addition to Nikkor AI-S, AI, and modified AI lenses, as well as all AF and AI-P Nikkors. Interestingly, the F4 is the only Nikon body other than the F3AF that can use the Nikkor AF lenses that Nikon made to use with the F3AF. These are the AF 80mm f2.8 and a AF 200mm f3.5 IF ED and the TC 16 teleconverter. Now THAT is serious backwards compatibility!<BR><BR>

For Leonard Foo's helpful chart of lenses compatible with the F4 body, see the Compatibility Chart on the "Photography in Malasia" website. <BR><BR>

See the F4 FAQ at

<a href="http://www4.ncsu.edu/unity/users/j/jnwall/html/f4faq.htm">

http://www4.ncsu.edu/unity/users/j/jnwall/html/f4faq.htm</a>

for more information on this subject.

In the early '90s, I bought a new N8008s to enter into auto-focus after a couple of decades of manual focus Nikon use. I was not happy with the longevity of the auto-focus lenses, but the body is still in use today, and always with AI / AIS manual focus Nikkors.

As a platform for Manual focus lenses, the N8008s offers a small body with built-in motor that works well in both manual and aperture priority exposure modes. You can use both center-weighted and spot patterns, but not matrix. This never bothered me, because I don't wish to switch practices when going from my manual focus bodies to the auto-focus one... I never used matrix even with auto-focus lenses since I know how to expose film with traditional center-weighted metering. Focusing is easy if you learn to use the electronic rangefinder. The finder has the same high eye-point relief that is found on the F3 and other pro-level F class Nikons. While the F4 and other cameras are fine, the size of the N8008s is more in-line with your other cameras... I know which one I'd want to carry around all day. One very good advantage of this body over the two bodies you use now is that extra stop worth of shutterspeed. I like to use my lenses wide-open, even in bright light, and 1/8000th let's me do that more often than with my manual focus cameras. Best of all, these cameras are pretty cheap these days.

All of the above could also be said for the similar vintage N90 class of camera.

Joe,

I have an F4s and an F100. I enjoy using the F4 more than the F100 even though it has slightly slower and less acurate autofocus than the F100. I like the user interface of the F4. It has a window for viewing the current aperature built into the viewfinder. With the F100 I have to remember by the number of clicks or flip the camera up to see what its set at (with m/f and non-chipped lenses).

The F4 is heavier (even with the mb-20 battery pack) than the F100. It has a built to last kind of feel. I'm sure the F100 will last as well and is technologically superior with many of its features. Unfortunately, the older I get the more of the features I turn off. Seems like the camera's are trying to make too many of the 'creative' decisions for me. For me, to use many of the features effectively, there is a steep learning curve in order to make them second nature. I typically set everything to manual or aperature priority and go.

I bought the F100 before the F4s. I have wanted an F4 since they came out and now after having one, it is truly as good as I imagined it would be. One of the very few things in life, at my income level, that has delivered to my expectations. If that's not an endorsment, I don't know what is... :)

So, to my mind the choices are: F5, F100, F4 and N90s. None of them are bad choices. Pick the one that fits: your useage (do you *need* mlu then F4 and F5 are the only choices, etc.), your wallet and your hand. If you buy one used, make sure you get a warrenty and either pay more for one that has been recently cla'd or budget enough to have it done if necessary.

Good luck,

Jim Seaman

Nikon F5: No Question. Great compatibility, you just install and use, has ADR (aperture direct readout), stop down metering via DOF preview, 0.75x finder for ease of focus on matte surface, optional DW-31, 6x waist level finder, great selection of viewing screens, easy to use red/green/red bright diode electronic rangefinder display. The F5 weight no more than an F3 with MD-4 and weighs 40g less than an F3HP with MD-4. The F5 is my top Choice.

F100: somewhat small, very light, sticks in the hand, good motor drive, just install and use, exposure compensation in aperture preferred mode is super easy to use. Electronic rangefinder is all green LCD (OK, not great), 0.70x finder (OK, not great), No ADR, no stop down metering via DOF preview. Primary advantage is good motor in a light package that sticks in the hand.

N90s. I have no experience with this camera except holding it at the camera counter. Good finder magnification of 0.78x for ease of focus on matte surface, All green LCD electronic rangefinder, no ADR, felt good in the hands. Can�t say more.

F4: Has ADR (aperture direct readout), stop down metering via DOF preview, 0.70x finder (OK, not great), great selection of viewing screens, easy to use red/green/red bright diode electronic rangefinder display. The F4 has serious metering problems with macro and teleconverters if the effective maximum aperture falls below f/5.6. At this point you may as well consider the camera a meter-less camera. I gave up using the F4 for macro and went back to the FE2. Exposure compensation has a very difficult control with strong, poorly placed lock and no non-slip surface so use of aperture preferred mode is limited. Some odd metering with some AF lenses. I did not find matrix meter particulary useful with this camera.

Like Ellis Vener I place this camera below the F5 and also F100 any day of the week.

I�ll take (and did) an F5, FE2, FM2n and F100 over the F4/F4s for use with manual focus lenses.

Best,

Dave Hartman.

My thoughts suggest the F4, as in the used market it will probably cost half as much. No, the AF single sensor is slow, but with the focus verification arrows, it's not too bad. (Though definitely not for sports photography.) It is a rugged body, has mirror lock-up, spot metering, 100% viewing, and takes almost anything that Nikon makes. I still use my F4S for my MF 500f/4, and for macro photography. For anything else I prefer my F5 for its superior focussing speed and accuracy.

Interesting answers that you get from people who know what their talking about.

Here's my opinion, based on actual use.

This opinion is for usability of manual focus lenses on an AF body, so I'm not rating AF usability.

1. F90X/F90 : Can't snap subjects into focus quicker with this camera using the electronic rangefinder faster than I can with other bodies. Better meter than earlier cameras. Better flash technology (same as F5 and F100).

2. F5 : Better meter (center weighted and spot ) than anything before F90X, good handling.

3. 8008 or 8008S: The 2 main features of the 8008s are the spot meter (only available for AF lenses on this body) and the faster autofocus. Those are not needed for manual focus lenses. Subjects snap into focus quickly using rangefinder. Easy to use viewfinder. Much less heavy than an F4, and I never felt the need to use the F4 matrix metering anyway (other than center weighted or spot I use an incident meter).

That's my list for the best choices.

However, for just walking around when I don't need fill flash, I like an F3. But for one body for manual focus lenses, I wouldn't recommend it. If you already had one of the 3 above tools, than an F3 makes a great addition.

P.S.

While the F100 is a great AF camera, I think that from a focusing and viewfinder perspective it is not very useful for manual focus lens users. I have to really fidget with that damn rangefinder to get anything to register in focus, a real pain compared to the near instantaneous focus I get with an F90X using manual focus lenses.

If your goal is to end up with a high end AF system looking to newest technology lenses, F5 or F100.

If your goal is to end up with a used low cost AF body for dated AF lenses, 8008s.

The 90s and F4s are in an between solutions but the 90s beats the older F4s in several areas.

But I really don't understand why the need for an AF body to use newer AF lenses as long as you stay clear of the G lenses. Buy them and use them on your current bodies!

Craig, lest we leave the wrong impression . . .

The 8008s does not restrict one to dated AF lenses. Any Nikon lens can be used on the 8008s & it will meter. Of course, you can't use the specialized functions of D, S, & VR lenses - & you probably wouldn't want to use the cheap G lenses. Of course you'd have to need the S or VR functions for this to matter - or you'd have to believe that the D chip really makes a significant difference.

However, if Nikon produces a lens of improved optical design - as they did when they put the D chip into the 28/2.8 autofocus - you can take advantage of the improved optics & design features on your 8008s.

Your suggestion of the F5 or F100 point Joe in the direction of 2 cameras which Nikon designates as "professional" - with the accompanying high price & increased heft. The F5 in particular is a very bulky camera & the F100 weighs almost 20% more than the 8008s. The F4 is another bulky professional camera & as a compromise all it enables you to do that you can't do with the 8008s is use AF-S lenses; you can't even take advantage of the D chip with this camera. The 90x gives you access to the full function of AF-S & AF-D lenses & is the only non-professional autofocus camera besides the 8008 that allows you to meter AIS lenses. None of the current series of non-professional Nikons will allow you to do this.

I was responding to Joe's request re which would be the best body TO START WITH if he wants to get an autofocus body & start collecting a few AF lenses. IMO the 8008s is the best starter camera for this purpose - & the cheapest. He asked "Which will give the best support to my existing MF lenses?" The 8008s was built with just this purpose in mind. If, on the other hand, Joe decides to fully max out all the possibilities of AF technology, then you are right . . . the most modern AF camera body is the way to go - currently the F5 & the F100.