Leica Copies

alex_ryan

There is plenty of discussion of these in the forum archives.

If you're question is whether these FED's are worth messing with, the answer is maybe. They're dirt cheap, and if you get a good one, are supposed to work pretty well.

However, the old screw mount Leicas they are copied from are also dirt cheap, so what's the point? You can get a good IIIa for $250 or so.

Neither FED's nor old screw mount Leicas are very practical for general photography, because they have squinty tunnel-vision finders which show only the 50mm view. Any later RF camera with brightline finder and, according to taste, a built-in meter, will be vastly more usable.

I have a Russian copy of a Contax, called a Kiev IVa. It's actually a fine camera and works perfectly. I bought it in Moscow with two excellent, coated lenses for $25 (a 35/2.8 Biogon copy and a 53/2 Sonnar copy). But I keep it more as a curiosity than to actually shoot with.

All my many Russian cameras and lenses didnt total up to 250 dollars. One of my Zorki bodies lasted about 250 rolls; in the last 4 years; before it died last week. The body cost 20 dollars; including freight; from the Ukraine. Russian stuff is abit of a crap shoot. They are way louder than a Leica. Some lenses are great; some are crap. My Industar-50 50mm F3.5 is tack sharp; almost as good as my new LTM 50mm F2 Summicron; that cost zillions of times more. The Russian stuff is covered ALOT in the site www.beststuff.com ; which was the old Yahoo board on russian cameras. Here I have a Leica M3; Bessa R; Lennigrad spring motor drive; 2 Feds; 4 zorkis..The cheaper bodies are fun; cost little; and manytimes work great.<BR><BR>Russian LTM cameras have no roller cam; some lenses; mostly telephotos; wont work. <BR><BR>Many have 3/8 thread tripod sockets<BR><BR>Some are not aligned; and sold as crap<BR><BR>Before 9/11; zorki bodies; case; and normal lens; with freight were less than 20 US dollars....

I got two Fed 2's; with lenses; cases; plus a Lennigrad exposure meter; with freight from the Ukraine to the USA; for less than 30 bucks; about 2 1/2 years ago. This is less than half what I paid for a real Leica M series eyepiece correction lens. <BR><BR>I got a nice 5cm F2 Nikkor LTM off of Ebay last fall for 60 bucks; I was the only bidder; it was listed as a "Nikkor enlarging lens"; it was a 7 day auction. This was alot of time for others to find the item; but were abit to narrowly focused.<BR><BR>

Minolta 35 rangefinders are dirt cheap right now. The standard 45mm 2.8 lens is a nice 5 element of heliar design. These can be as little as $ 150 for body + lens. YOU MUST be careful and get one with a working shutter.<p>

See my page on these great little cameras right <a href="http://members.aol.com/dcolucci/minolta.htm">HERE</a><p>

good luck - Dan

I owned a great IIIc copy. Built like a tank and all speeds accurate. Got it and a very nice fake Elmar 50mm for around $125, I think. My first rangefinder before buying a real Leica.

Check out Fedka.com. I met the owner in person in NYC. Great guy who brought a bunch of cameras to choose from.

Good luck.

I have a Leica IIIC, Canon IVF, Minolta 35 Model II, a Leotax D3-MIOJ, several FED's (both old and new) and a few Zorki's. Compared with the Leica, the Canon seems to be of equal quality and the Minolta is very close. All the others represent a BIG drop in quality from the Leica. The Fed's and Zorki's have been fun to play with though, and cheap enough to buy just for fun. If you get a working one with reasonably accurate shutter speeds you can take good photos with it. You know a good photographer with poor equipment will beat a poor photographer with great equipment every time! The talent and skill is in the eye - not the camera.

Mr. Ryan was asking what the word "FED" means on Soviet cameras. The word FED is made from the initials of F. E. Dzerzhinsky who was founder of the NKVD, forerunner of the KGB. A labor commune named after Dzerzhinsky was formed to provide secondary school education and productive work. The commune in the Ukraine produced Leica camera copies named "FED". Far more copies have been produced by the Soviets than Leica ever produced!