Hasselblad 503CW - Prism?

greg_allum

Hey,

Ok this is a reallt simple question but I can't seem to find an

answer anywhere.

I am thinking of buying a Hasselblad 503CW Kit with 80MM 2.8 Carl

Zeiss Lens, but I've never really bought a Medium Format Camera

before...

I did have a Bronica EC MF Camera lent to me a while back...

What I am worried/unsure about is...that if i buy this kit...when I

look thru the viewfinder will the image be what I see or will it be

upside down/reversed?

Is that where I need a prism??

Or does the prism do something else?

If i need a prism, any recommendations?

Hope someone can help,

Greg

It will be right-side-up but reversed. A minor annoyance when composing if the subject is still, a virtual impossibility if the subject is moving (though someone will undoubtedly chime in that they have no trouble overcoming the human brain's hardwiring). Your only choice if you will be shooting moving subjects is whether you want a 90 degree prism, in which case you will need a handgrip or the motor grip to keep a steady and comfortable hold on the camera; or a 45 degree prism. I prefer the 45 degree because at 6'5" an eyelevel finder makes me crouch or bend much of the time. Shorter people seem to prefer the 90 degree finder because the 45 degree makes them tilt the camera up.

Ah thanks for your help,

I was looking at the 45 Degree PM, but it seems a very expensive add on for something that I believe may be possible to overcome with practice. I shoot mainly portraits, people against walls...

Would any of you have an idea or recommendations on which is better or the advantages/disadvantages of a 503CW over a 501CM?

Greg

Greg,

If you have no plans to use a Polaroid back, then a Kiev copy of the old 45 deg. prism can

be had for a lower price than the Hasselblad version. There is also a spot/TTL meter 45

deg. prism available for a reasonable price.

There are times when the waist-level finder shines. For example, if a composition

demands the camera be held lower or near the ground, one doesn't have to contort

oneself to see the focusing screen. It is also great for candids, as people are more tense

when a camera is held at eye level.

I shoot with both the waist-level and a 45 deg. prism. I usually have the 45 deg. mounted

on the camera, but switch to the waist-level as the situation demands.

I would think that the 90 deg. prism is best for a camera mounted high on a tall tripod,

where the waist-level and the 45 deg. would be impractical. I don't think that I would want

to lift the weight of the camera that high for each exposure handheld as would be required

with the 90 deg. prism.

Taras

I'll recommend a 45 degree finder over a 90 deg., the "magnification" is higher in the 45 deg. finder, and the 45 is great hand held.

I have 2 WLF, 45deg. finder, 503CW, 2000FC, CF-fle50, CFi100 and 2XE, and I prefer to use the equipment in these combinations:

503CW + WLF with the 50mm at apertures from 5.6 to 22.

2000FC + 45deg. finder with the 100mm with and without the converter often with the lens at 3.5 and with fast shutter speeds. For landscapes with the 100mm (also with 2xe) I stop down.