I'm going to buy Manfrotto tripod and head. For a head I've chosen

468RC (3435QR) and for legs I want some black version of 055 but

there are several of them - 055CL,055PRO and 055NAT2. I'm confused

which one to chose? The difference in PRO and NAT2 version is around

$30 - although it's not a big pain I don't want to spend money

unreasonably? May be somebody of you know the differences (more than

stated in Manfrottos web page) and would help me to choose the right

thing?

All of the 055 (3021) tripods are in essence the same. Same height, weight, capacity, etc., within an inch/ounce or so of each other. <P> For Nature work, forget the 055CL (3021N) as it is a reflective silver and can scare off wildlife, or flare out a macro shot. <P> The 055PRO (3021BPRO) has a column that can go laterally as well as vertically, which is well suited to many macro applications. <P>

The 055NAT2 (3021GN) is olive green, which can be cool for nature work, but may not be so good should oppurtunity for portraits, weddings, etc., present themselves. <P>

My choice would be either the 055SS (3221WN) or 3021BPRO. The 055SS is a black version of the NAT2 (Includes retractable spikes and foam leg wraps.)

Thanks a lot Kevin for Your responce!

I think I'm going with 055PRO version. Just I got a question from a salesman that 'why do I need that strong ballhead 468RC (3435QR) if I'm buying 055 tripod'? Tripods maximum load is 6kg but head's - 10kg.

Raivo

• 5 years later...

This is NOT to answer your question, but to ask one of other viewers, hopefully from the USA...

What is the equivalent to the manfrotto 055Pro in the United States? I'm having trouble finding it to check and see if it meets my needs.

Thanks.

Bunnny

If you look at www.manfrotto.com and select the English version you'll be able to navigate (select photo tripod then rapid column) to a table that compares all the alternatives in the 055 range.

My only strong suggestion is that you get one with the flip-over leg locks rather than the winged screw locks found on the very cheapest models. That aside its pretty much down to how many different ways you might need to spread the legs and how near the ground you want to go.

Depending on what you intend to put on this tripod and how you're going to use it, its unlikely you actually need a 468 head and that a cheaper 486 0r 488 would almost certainly cope with anything the tripod will hold. That said the 468, which I have briefly tried seems to me smoother and better engineered than the cheaper heads and will give more control over tension. If you like that head there's no reason why you shouldn't put it on the 055 legs.