New Canon 85/1.2 L

patricks

$2,100 ? Yikes ! That's $600. more than the other one.

Let's wait and see if it really is $2,100. worth of improvements.

It says it's using lead freed materials. Didn't that lower the optical performance of some other

Canon lens? My 85/1.2 is razor sharp even at f/1.2 ( at least what ever is in focus is ; -) Hate

to lose that.

If you already own the "mark I" version of the 85 1.2L this updated lens is definitely worth the $600 extra (assuming you can sell your old lens for around $1400). The original 1.2L is notorious for slow autofocus (too much glass to move around with alacrity -- physical law of intertia). It's a 100% pro lens aimed squarely at the Pro market (or amateurs with too much money ;).

Well, the MK1 version is $1,500. new at B&H (bet that will drop quick when the new one hits

the shelves). So, I'd hazard a guess you could only get $900 to $1,000. for a mint MK1

version.

$1,100. to $1,200. premium for a marginal improvement in AF ? (the MK1 isn't that bad)

However, being the speed freak I am, I'll eventually do it ... but only when I'm sure they didn't

screw with the image characteristics by using new materials.

I ordered the 85/1.2L just before the new one was announced. I'm happy with it (my goodness, the glass!) and will probably keep it vs. returning it and waiting for the new one.

But, based on their past actions (of which I have no idea), is it likely that Canon/suppliers will keep both versions of the 1.2 on the shelves when the Mark II is eventually released? Or will the Mark II just replace the "Mark I"? Am wondering just in case there is a difference in image quality with the new one.