Best F stop for 50 1.7 Pentax me Super

j._bradley_deal

Have been shooting Delta 400 B&W Ilford.Using f 11 to 16 outside with

a Yellow filter. The results were disappointing. The subject matter

was mostly people at an outdoor event. The camera was set on Auto.

The result are very soft and grainy and there was was a lot of flair

in some photos. I don't believe there is a problem with light leaks

and the camera seems to be functioning properly. 1) Is the yellow

filter not a good idea . 2) Should I open the lens up more to f 4 or

5.6 and is there "sweet spot" for a normal lens. 3) Is there any

reason why the film I am using would not work well with filters? Any

Help is appreciated

Your f-stop isn't going to affect the grain structure of your shots. And the aperture you set isn't going to affect the resolution as much as most people think, unless you are doing large enlargements(8x10 or larger).

One thing that will affect your grain structure and sharpness is the exposure. An improper exposure will ruin the grain thus causing poor resolution. Make sure your meter is accurate/calibrated. Shoot a roll of slide film. Meter off a grey card at different aperture-shutter speeds. This will tell you if all times are right and the aperture is stopping down correctly. Who developed the film? If you did, make sure that the developer is fresh, and that your times are correct. It you want lower grain/contrast keep your aggitation to a minimum. If you want grain/contrast/(pop) to your pics, increase agitation.

The yellow filter will definitely help with contrast without affecting grain. Do you have a high quality filter? A cheap filter will have cheap glass, if it is glass at all. Tiffen is what I use and have had excellent results.

The biggest problem I have run into is poor metering. I try very hard to meter carefully and accurately. Make sure you are metering right. This should help. I wouldn't worry about using filters until you understand the ins and outs of your film first. Make sure you are developing the film right.

I hope this helps.

Sounds like under exposure to me. Are you sure you set the correct film speed? Try manual exposure on the next roll and see what happens.

All the pentax 50mm's are very good lenses and although there is a theoretical sweet spot around f5.6 - 11 with most similar lenses, it's barely anything you would actually notice with a modern lens.

Actually the lens stops down _mechanically_ when you release the shutter. The camera meters with the lens fully open but "calculates" the exposure based on the the aperture set. I think you are wondering if there is a problem because the lens stays wide open whatever aperture you set. There isn't.

The 50/1.7 performs best in f/4-5.6, surprisingly good in f/2.8-4 and f/5.6-8, average below f/2.8 and above f/8. If the light and the film's speed are asking f/11-16, than I would have used a 50/2 (but not the 5 elements Pentax one � I recommend the 6 elements Ricoh�s 50/2). Than film is another issue (400 ISO), and exposure a third one.

a cheap filter can induce a lot of flare and poor results. Shoot two frames, one with the filter, one without (1 stop exposure difference). Shoot toward bright lights, though not directly into them. This general flare mask can actually be worse when a source towards the edges or corners, than light source dead center.

As well as the bad internal reflections between lens and filter, there may be poor coatings, and the filter often sticks out beyond the rim of the lens out, and should have a lens hood of its own, if not covered well.