Panasonic LC1 review on Luminous Landscape

gregory_goh

Just saw review of above, and followed the link in the review to the forum

discussion - interesting findings - the reviewer actually prefers the Panasonic

for handling/grip. Best news for me was that price in HK is a not unreasonable

USD1,170/- for the Panasonic with the Digilux 2 USD 500/- more!

It looks like a very reasonable piece of kit but when are the designers of digital cameras going to learn the lesson from film and give us replaceable sensors? It can't be beyond the wit of industrial designers to come up with a method of letting the customer swap the sensor for an improved module, can it?

Harvey,

I've been banging that modular digicam drum as well, but in reality I suspect the most important feature is not the sensor per se, but rather the processor and surronding alogrithms that really make the difference in terms of end result. If one was to build a modular digicam, there are lots of electronics parts that need to be upgraded. Also given the fact that light rays must hit the sensor in a completely horizontal angle, often corrected by smaller microscopic lenses attached to the sensor, sensor position and sensitivity may prevent this at the current stage of the technology.

But it is an interesting concept.

Why would they want to renounce to selling you a whole new camera, once there's a development leap? Did they offer a color tube replacement for your b&w tv set? An engine module for your car, when they lowered the fuel consumption? Do you really think DVD recorders were invented years after the players were commercialized...? They got to harvest their fields seasonally, that's what they are in for. Wait 'til you see my digital Sling! ;o)

RE: upgradeable digicams. It is rumored that the Nikon F6 will be designed along lines even more modular than previous "Fs" - with swappable digibacks that can be replaced with whole new "upgrade" units whenever improvements come along (as well as film backs). Basically a mirror box/finder/shutter/lensmount core with interchangeable "C"-shaped "backs" that make up the majority of the camera volume.

To "upgrade" a digicam as they are presently designed, you need to replace not just the imaging chip, but the size of the buffer (temporary memory that holds the images and feeds them to your "permanent" memory card as you shoot more pictures), and the internal software ("firmware"). If your electronics are designed around 5Mp (1920 x 2560 pixel) images, and you change to 8Mp (2500 x 3500 or so pixels), everything else has to be changed to adapt to the new "expected" file sizes. And the new chip may have different biases for white balance and exposure. By the time you replace all that and test it and tweak the software - it costs more than just building a new camera.

RE the review

I was interested by the comment that the LC1 feels more like a Contax G than a Leica - that is about how I expect it to "feel". But with the "real" lens-based manual focusing that the Contaxes cried out for.

The reviewer's credibility suffers a bit when he says the Panasonic was announced "3 months after the Leica". Panasonic had the LC1 on their web site at least a month BEFORE Leica's Dec. 3 announcement.

Bob mentioned that MF has such a modular answer. I would argue that digital SLRs perform the same function. If an EOS 1V is $1.5k and a 1Ds is $8k it seems rather obvious that the sensor, buffer and software is most of the $6.5k difference. Same with the Rebel/digital Rebel: $200 vs $900. The key is interchangable lenses. So, we wish the LC1 had interchangable lenses in the main? The digital M is one answer and Epson/Cosina another (hopefully more in line with LC2 pricing).

Reichmann's review was interesting. But I am once again struck by the fruitless business of writing reviews on cameras after only a few days. For example havng waxed lyrical about the Sony 8MP digicam MR seems to be backtracking - I actually get the feeling that MR would like to rewrite his original review - but cannot really without coming out boldly and saying that he has changed his mind somewhat - it does suffer from chromatic aberration which is not good and it suffers from noise at higher ISOs. Hence I really take his review of the LC1 with a huge grain of salt at this stage.
Robin Smith

The LV1 review is written by Wai-Shan Lam, not MR.

I'm more interested in how images compare to the Dimage A2. I know, seems more like an apples/oranges issue since you're comparing different zoom ranges and 5 vs 8 megapixels. How much difference will the quality of the lens make? I'd sure like to see some closeup comparisons. These entries could finally get me to buy a digital camera.

I myself am holding back on purchase, with the choice between the A2 and the LC-1. 28-200 is very tempting in a walkaround camera with image stabilization - which works by the way - you can see it on the LCD instantly when you turn it on.

Interesting statement in the LC-1 review; the reviewer stated early on that the LC-1 was still not as good as a Canon 300D, while being more expensive.

On the other hand the A2 could turn out to be in the same class as the Sony 828, which according to MR, is similar in quality to a 10D/300D with an L class zoom

Then again there is the digital M and the Epson/Cosina!

Interesting times :-)

<i> It is rumored that the Nikon F6 will be designed along lines even more modular than

previous "Fs" - with swappable digiback </i><p>

Thom Hogan was predicting this for a 2003 release. Now he's predicting it for a release this

year... maybe... or maybe next year....