Minolta DiMAGE Scan Dual IV /Vuescan and Shadow Clipping

I am overall very pleased with my new minolta scan dual IV and I am

using VueScan (which I like much better than minolta�s software) but

I am having a slight shadow clipping problem. I�ve noticed it when

I�ve scanned color, b&w and slides (Reala, TMAX and Sensia.)

<br><br>

I have VueScan set to �ARCHIVE� for the sizing, and the standard

white and black points (0 for white and 1 for black � I think)

<br><br>

When I open an image in PS and go into levels, looking at the red,

blue and green channels the histagram is always flat before it

begins� moving the slider anywere between 5-15 brings it to the real

start.

<br><br>

Is anyone else having this problem? And can anyone offer a

suggestion that would fix this� I tend to fiddle some with every

image I scan but this has become a bit of a tiresome addition to my

usual routine.

<br><br>

Thanks!

I'm a little confused when you say in PS there is space at end (left?) of histogram. This says to me you have no clipping of shadows. Also, I think you meant to say "1 for white and 0 for black", in your post, this is Vuescan default. Is this the case? If not, there's your answer, too high blackpoint. Otherwise:

If you are seeing small amount of shadow clipping, showing in the Vuescan histograms, I would suggest:

1. Set Crop|Buffer to 0% (This will ensure Vuescan is considering the whole image, and not excluding a strip around edge. If your scan includes a bit of the holder, than you can't really do this. Also, having the buffer on 15%, the default, will sometimes improve contrast, by ignoring anomalies at edge of frame. It's a judgement call.)

2. Tick Input|Lock Film Base Color. Then in Color tab, set the 3 extra boxes (1 each red, green blue) from whatever value is there, to 1. (This should push the marker at left end of top histogram (pre color tab corrections) in, ensuring you have all shadows. Any uptick at left end of bottom histogram (post color tab corrections) should be gone.

3. Use Tmax400 profile, and try a higher contrast index number. (I find D76ci:.55 to be a good baseline.)

4. Try setting your film type as :image", setting all paremeters as flat/neutral as possible, and work the image in PS.

Thanks for your speedy response Mendel.

<br><br>

I did mean the left end of the historigram when I am looking at it in Photoshop. I would open up levels and use that histagram to begin with correcting the image.

<br><br>

I will try your suggesting about the crop/buffer. And ticking off the red blue and green.

<br><br>

I usually use the film profiles in vuescan for the reala and the tmax.