What about Kobalux Bower Pasoptik 28mm f2.8 lens

A dealer in the UK is selling at an excellent price the last brand

new Kobalux 28mm f2.8 leica thread mount lens it has. Aparently this

lenses were called Bower in the US and Pasoptik in the UK and Kobalux

does not make them anymore. I have read that Adorama sold them with

it own name. I'm surpised about how small it is and I'm and

considering buying it for my Leica IIIc. I did not know about this

lens and I would like to ask for opinions from people who own or have

used this lens. The lens is sold with an adapter for Leica M's.

I used to own the last version of this lens. I was very happy with it, but sold it due to misplaced gearlust and have regretted it. If it's a really good deal over the Cosina Voigtlander 28/3.5, I'd say go for it. If not, the VC is a current production lens, and should be at least as good as the Kobalux, probably slightly better. Examine the Kobalux lens's element retaining ring up front. The first piece I received had damaged spanner wrench slots.

I have the 21/2.8 brother to this Kobalux lens. It is a true jewel, albeit a rather large one.

I had the Kobalux 21/2.8, not the 28. So I can only speak for that. The build

quality was really really good, and the optics were fine after a stop or two--

really, how many lenses are best wide open? That's the only 21 I've ever had.

I'll admit that one of the reasons why I took it over the CV was the fondler

value. It cost around $200 more.

With that in mind, if there's, say, a $100 difference in price between the quasi-

Kobalux and the CV, go for the former; if there's a $200 difference, go with the

CV. How often are you going to use a wide angle lens wide open? And if

something goes wrong, Gandy or others will give you a warranty; will you get

one with the Kobalux?

Aric, you are mistaken or are confusing the 28mm f3.5 with the 2 pancake 35mm 2.5's. There has only ever been one 28mm f3.5. It would be ther better lens to go for than the Kobalux. It has the better optics of the 2 and its one of the higher build standard Voigtlander lenses. In chrome its a perfect match on a Leica screw mount

I don't know why I wrote CV when refering to two version of 28/3.5. I meant there were two version of the <b>Kobalux</b> 28/3.5, and I owned a copy of the last version. The picture on Steve Gandy's site is of the earlier version Kobalux 28/3.5.

On <a href="http://www.kobalux.com/k28-2.html">this page</a>, one can barely see the focusing chevron on the last version of the 28/3.5.

• 3 weeks later...

Funny. The last Kobalux lenses were only M-Mount... Not even the seller Goodwin Photo Inc. knew when it sold it to me.

I cannot use it with my Leica IIIc (screw mount) so I have decided to put it on sale the famous auction website. FYI:

<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3811984110&category=15234&sspagename=STRK%3AMESSE%3AIT&rd=1>