Question for Scott or anyone in the know- is the Proimage film

basically GA 100 film? The PGI numbers and saturation seem to

indicate it. And if it is GA 100, is the 120 version the same as the

old Gold 100 GA 120? You mentioned the 120 version of GA is different

then the current 35mm counterpart. Or is Proimage basically a 35mm GA

equivalent? I thought I read somewhere this film had been

discontinued in 99, so anyone that may have this will be way over

date stock. But someone else mentioned its still being made, so Im

wondering if this is a US only or even far off country film.

Im just wondering as I have many rolls of GA 120 dated mid 90s and am

wondering if Proimage 120 is the exact same film or not as that.

Scott mentioned to use 400UC instead regardless. How would these two

films compare other then the Proimage film is probably grainier. I

would wonder if maybe the Gold 100 clone would still have more

saturation then 400UC in more colors.

Scott;

Kodak does not pack their film in boxes for anyone else AFAIK unless it has the EK label somewhere on the box. (Mfgd by EK for ....)

Kodak does not, under any circumstances cross package film. Ie. one exact film packed in a box with another label on it. Some formulas are very similar however. And some aims are very similar. This would make two different films appear similar if not nearly identical to the casual user.

Very rigorous testing of may parameters would reveal the differences in things like raw stock keeping, reciprocity, latitude, etc.

So, a film from the 90s and one today are not the same film. Nor are two films today the same film.

Ron Mowrey

Ok. So if Proimage is not Gold 100, many agree its close. Now what Im wondering if the 120 version of that- is it similar to Gold 100 in 120, or Gold 100 in 35mm? They are two different films. The PGI numbers would indicate its a Gold 100 replica.

Well, AFAIK two films with the same name but different sizes (120 and 35 mm) are supposed to be the same.

That isn't always the case though, but the difference is subtle. The support and backing may be different to allow for differences in camera transport and etc. But that should be minor.

I know that we didn't develop 2 films when I worked on 400 Gold in the 80s based on size. If the customer base was expected to be different, the aims were different and the names were different, and the film was different. For example, an hypothetical amateur film in 35 called SuperGood in 120 might be called SuperGood Pro for professionals and it would be a different film. SuperGood in 120 without the Pro would then be expected to be the same as the 35mm film.

I know, I know, they look different, or the same or etc. Have you considered that the one film may have been unrefrigerated because it is a 'consumer' film and the 120 was frozen or refrigerated. Those two may have started the same but end up different. Etc. It is so hard to pin down these things.

Bottom line... Gold is gold is gold, according to EK. If the name isn't Gold, it isn't repackaged Gold. They don't crosspackage.

Ron Mowrey

Hi Scott,

I used ProImage 100 film occasionally when I lived in Korea where it's sold in numerous photo shops. It's not marketed in the US. It's not highly saturated, but is intended for portraiture, studio, social situations, etc. The other selling point is it can be stored at room temperature even in hot/humid climates. The grain is slightly finer also, Gold 100 (now known as "Bright Sun Film") having a PGI of 45 while the ProImage is 43. It's also very cheap! Here is a link to the tech sheet below.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/e4L/e4L.pdf

Good luck, Allan