Settings for scanning B&W with Minolta DS IV?

I just got my Minolta Dual Scan IV, and ran a few quick scans using

the default settings. I have a few questions about optimizing my

scanned images.

I use mostly Kodak T400CN and Ilford XP2, Delta 3200, Tri-X.

When I scan the T400CN or XP2, do I scan as color negative or b&w

negative? What about for the Delta 3200 and Tri-X...b&w negative?

Is there a benefit in scanning B&W film in 16-bit? I'd rather not

deal with huge files, and if the difference is minimal, I'd like to

stick with the smaller 8-bit files. If the difference can be

substantial, then I'm willing to do 16-bit.

Does everyone typically just use the autofocus and autoexposure

settings?

Edward,

Chromogenic films (XP2, T400CN)scan very well as RGB. As for the other silver halide films, you can scan them either as RGB or grayscale and see for youself. Trust what you see!

I dont know about the scanning software of the Scan Dual IV, but there is Vuescan that you might consider down the road. Available at www.hamrick.com For the time being, stick with the scanning software that you have and try to learn as much as possible.

As for scanning 16 bits vs 8 bits, I doubt you will see a difference in the quality of the image. But as you start making image adjusments with a graphic software, you will have more data to work with and therefore the 16 bits scans will hold up better than the 8 bits scan. this can be seen in the histogram. And 8 bits image will have the toothcomb effect faster that the 16 bits image. The toothcomb image indicate missing data that the printer will have to interpolate.

For the time being, dont worry about it, learn as much as you can and experiment. Try just about everything and trust what you see.

I dont know which graphic software that you're using, but if you are looking for one and dont want to buy Photoshop, I would suggest Picture Window Pro ($89) at www.dl-c.com... Almost as good as Photoshop for the number of features, better in a lot of areas, like 16 bits image adjustement.

Thanks for the help. Few more questions though.

What is the benefit in scanning a B&W image in RGB mode?

Also after scanning a B&W image in RGB mode, do you need to desaturate it before printing (to avoid color cast)? Or do you just check the "Monochrome" checkbox in Channel Mixer?

--- What is the benefit in scanning a B&W image in RGB mode?

Scanners always scan in RGB mode even when you want it to scan in grayscale. The scanner decides which channel it keeps for grayscale. Sometime the choice is good, sometimes not.

If you scan in RGB, then you control the conversion to grayscale but you end up with a files three times as large.

--- Also after scanning a B&W image in RGB mode, do you need to desaturate it before printing (to avoid color cast)? Or do you just check the "Monochrome" checkbox in Channel Mixer?

In Channel Mixer check Monochrome and play with the RGB values. Start with 70-20-10 (Always make sure it adds to 100 even). When you're finished, go to Image-Adjustment-Levels and adjust the end points. If the image is either too light or too dark, adjust the middle slider (gamma) to apply density. Look at the histogram. Make sure there is no vertical white white lines: toothcomb effect indicating missing data.

Next, go to Image-Adjustement-Curves and apply an S shaped curve. Go lightly at first. Dont forget Image-Mode-Grayscale to get rid of excess image weight: this can be done after Channel Mixer.

Grosso modo, that's how overall contrast and density are adjusted. You still need to adjust local density and contrast.