newbie: how to put the 10x8 film i found to good use.

joe_paulo1

hi, thanks for taking the time to look. this week i while at work (advertising studios), i

found a box of 2005 dated fujichrome 64 rtp tungston with 9 sheets in, i also found a

box of 10x8 kodak 100iso daylight with 3 sheets in (also well in date). i realise that

the fuji will have to be used in a studio. i am going to borrow a 10x8 camera in 2

weeks to shoot the stuff. but i have no idea about is what to shoot, i want to try and

be creative with the perspective alterations that LF allow. I also thought it would be

good to do an extream close up portrait, apart from that i havnt had any ideas. i have

never used LF before (althought i have been shown how to and seen them used alot) i

use mainly MF. all sugestions and tips would be great. the other thing i ment to say is

that it would be nice to have a shoot that will capture a huge amount of detail/

information. thanks alot in advance .Joe

Joe,

The 8x10 tungsten film would be great to use at night in the city. Find a tall building or parking garage and compose a night shot with something interesting in it. You may want to spend an evening or two with a 35mm camera and a roll of 64t to practice first. Write down exposures and take notes on each one to see what you get with bracketing, then just use the 8x10 in a similar lighting situation to get a good image the first time.

As far as perspective alterations with 8x10 go, a little movement is a lot. The sales images you see with a view camera's bellows extended and twisted like a contortionist are not usually correct for taking a picture. A small amount of tilt, swing, shift or rise is usually plenty.

Caution: Playing with 8x10 can be addictive. The surgeon general has found it to be a cause for chiropractic therapy, financel counseling and large lab bills. You may decide medium format is too puny once you see the chromes on a light box.

cheers Tim, i think that a london city scape and a portrait it is. i can see what you

mean about the costs, where i work you see people shooting hundreds of 10x8

sheets in a day so their film costs alone for a week could run into the tens of

thousends £££££ and then there is the processing, i am the great postition of getting

all my e-6 processing done for free. i am really exited about my first adventure into

large format and seeing the results on a light box, i have been wating for months to

get the chance to shoot LF, i have wanted to since i first saw one of nick knights 10x8

transarencies coming out of the dryer at work. Joe