Older Gitzo 320 tripod, need short column help....

rob_murray

Just picked up a great old Gitzo tripod in perfect shape

this week. It goes up to 8 ft high! it has the double column

center post that is useless for me. I need a shorter center

column so I can get lower to the ground. Hesitant to just

take a hacksaw to the current center column...

Kirk does not offer one, RRS I cant tell from their site

and they do not accept email!

Any help appreciated...

Thanks

Rob

Kirk only offers <a href="http://www.kirkphoto.com/tripodaccess.html" target="blank">a limited number of short center posts</a>. I did write to them some time back about the plate that replaces the Gitzo column but they never replied and I can't find it on the web site, so I don't think they make it anymore.<br><br>

<a href="https://www.photoproshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/76" target="blank">Markins makes a similar plate</a> which may be quite good. Once again the selection is limited but I think I may buy the TB20 plate for my Gitzo G1228. Also unfortunately it's really hard to buy a Markins product - I waited a long time recently for a Markins Arca/Swiss style clamp. It eventually arrived from Korea and is very well engineered but don't buy Markins if you're in a hurry.

I'd strongly urge buying the Kirk center column. I bought my 320 Safari new and was dissatisfied from the beginning with the wobble of the Gitzo center column. Nothing could lock this column tightly. Several years afterward I learned about the Kirk replacement and bought it. I've been wobble free and happy ever since.