Crystal Mill lens limitation

jay_smith3

Going to Aspen in two weeks. At the moment I only have a Rodenstock

135 lens. I noticed one photographer on this site who has a great

photograph of Crystal Mill in Colorado who says that he used a 65mm.

It would be disappointing to drive up that dangerous road only to

realize that I do not have a wide enough lens or can not get back far

enough to get a decent shot and get everything in the photo. What do

you think? BTW, I have a 99 Jeep Cherokee which should be fine but

it sounds like there is hardly room for two vehicles to pass each

other. I may have to leave my wife at the hotel on this one.

It depends on the type shot you're looking for. I've used a 355mm lens on 8x10, which roughly equals a 165mm lens on 4x5 with good success. Your 135 should work fine.

It's been a few years since I've been there, so I can't speak to current road conditions, but there are places along the road where two vehicles cannot pass each other; that's where knowing how to drive in these situations is important. The uphill vehicle has the right of way and if two vehicles find themselves at one of these spots at the same time, someone will have to back up.

It a great place and a beautiful trip, have a great time!

Regards, Pete

You should be able to get a decent composition with the 135. As far as the road, it's very rocky and rough, mostly narrow. It will take you 45 minutes to drive the 5 miles from Marble to the mill. Like many FS roads in the mountains, you have to keep track of 'pullouts' and any spot that's wide enough for 2 vehicles to pass. You may need to back up to the nearest one at any time. Although uphill traffic has the ROW, the tourist in the rented Jeep coming at you may not know that.

Slightly OT: In Colorado, it is generally recognized that the vehicle going downhill should yield to the vehicle heading uphill.

downhill vehile should always be in control + uphill vehicle may not be able to regain traction if the road is wet, icey, etc. = the vehicle going uphill has the ROW

While it might seem overly cautious, slowing down and honking the horn before trying to negoiate a blind corner is always adviseable. Hopefully, a driver heading the opposite direction will be paying attention.

If you're not sure, check with the State Patrol or one of the 4wd outfitters. Most of the really bad spots are between Crystal and Schofield/Gothic and this portion of the road is still blocked by snow from last winter.

Have fun. The aspen trees are starting to peak and there is a slight chance of snow in the forecast.

I tried to go to the Crystal Mill about 10 years ago and I don't remember a road going to it. I remember going to the town of Marble and then up to the Marble Quarry and parking (in a VW Jetta). We then tried to hike up the river from there but we had a late start and didn't make it to the Mill. Could someone be kind enough to give a like to Topozone showing where ther Crystal Mill is? I may be going through the area next month and I've always wanted to go there. TIA!

Kirk

The Crystal Mill (aka Crystal Power House, aka Dead Horse Mill) is just outside the tiny village of Crystal, Colorado. Right about here.

It's on the Crystal River, east of Marble. The marble quarry is on the Yule River, south of Marble. There's definitely a road there, at least there has been for the last 120 years or so. It was still there 2 months ago when I was there last.

Trying that link again. TopoZone map of Crystal Mill location is <a href="http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=13&n=4325430&e=317899&s=50&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25" >here</a>. I wouldn't attempt a Jetta on this road, although I'm sure it's been done before. You don't really need 4WD if the road is dry, but you do need a good bit of clearance to get over rocks. From Marble, take the road around the lake, and watch for the turn to the right about a mile or so farther on.

Take the dogs and leave the wife at hotel. Or is this a veiled attempt to validate the need for another lens to the wife (boss)? Good responses on the FS road etiquette. There is a reason logging trucks have the whistles...Looks like a good place, post some pics. Tom in Seattle

Michael, A week ago I searched for previous threads on Crystal Mill and came across your photo.....After the initial shock passed, I used my left hand to lift my chin up off my chest and my right hand to pull my eyebrows back down from the my hair line on my forehead.....Amazing photo!!....I would like to see that photo in person. Do you have it displayed anywhere for the public to see? Bobby has a nice Crystal Mill photo also. I will be in Aspen on Oct. 6th. I am worried that I will be too late for the Aspen trees. I do need to see If I can get a wider lens. WT, you are very perceptive on the wife issue. You must have one of those also.

Jay, yes, one wife, two kids, one dog, XX cameras and counting...My secret is to buy only black camera bodies, they all look the same..."oh this camera I bought 18 years ago before we were married..." nah, it's not a problem, really, but i do see a lot of posts here where guys start out with "my wife will kill me if i spend any more money on photography..." I couldn't live like that. My main thing is to give the wife the freedom I expect. Crystal looks like an awesome place, sounds like won't be much solitude though!

Hi Jay,

I'm having my first show on March 10, 2006 at Camera Obscura Gallery. It's a

6 week show and I will have the Crystal Mill shot there.

The print looks a lot better than the monitor. I have spent my entire career

working in the field of large format printing. Currently I own 3 drum scanners

and two MacDermid ColorSpan printers and I am a freak about file quality and

print quality.

If you want give me a call when you are in Aspen 303.868.2685. There is a

chance that I might be shooting the Bells or the Mill. If I am I will let you use

my Nikon 90 4.5 for the shot.

You might also take a look at the San Juan Mts. The Aspens will peak there

around the first week of October.

Thanks, Michael

OK - I see what happened. I had thought it was "past the quarry in Marble", so had gone there and started hiking south down the Yule drainage. That was as good as I was able to figure in the pre-internet days of the early 90's...

Thanks again for the map. I'll being my 75mm for the 4x5. But there is a 65 for sale in town...

Kirk

Michael, Awesome image of the mill!! Brent, your's is really nice too! ;-) Jay, just for comparison, my shot below from Oct 2003 is with a 135mm (on 4x5) from the same spot as Brent's. You can't back up too much because the hillside will block the falls shown in Brent's image. FWIW, I also shot this with a 75mm from the same spot on the same day. But I liked this one better since you can see the dusting of snow on the distant peak better.<div>00DeZr-25780084.jpg.bc6fa8f74c8b015cd7e58e71a22331e9.jpg</div>

Don't worry about the crowds of photographers, 99% are 35mm.

Two years ago I was at the Maroon Bells in the fall. The weather was not right

to hit a home run on the shot so I grabbed my 8x10 and stuck it on a 13 foot

tripod with a 10 foot ladder behind it. The sight of it standing next to 30 to 40

35mm an medium format cameras made for a great shot on my 5x7.

Have fun,

Michael

• 3 weeks later...
Michael that is one of the most unique shots I've ever seen of Crystal Mill! Very nice work! Could you please tell us how long your exposure was? Did you use a strobe or did you paint the light to get the building properly exposed and the snow so white after sunset!? What film? Filters? ...I'm mostly impressed with how long you can hand hold your camera without any movements! Most of us have to use a tripod! :o)