Reading the forum I realize that I'd be much better off with the

acute matte D split screen. Two questions, please: What's the

advantage/difference in the split screen with grid lines? And is

changing the screen an operation I can do at home, or must a

reputable repair shop make the switch?

Thanks very much in advance,

George Kenney

Hello George-

I don't have the screen with the gridlines, just the split-screen with microprism circle. Precision focusing is now a breeze, although the standard screen is fine for most uses, particularly landscape work.

This is easily done yourself, and instructions are provided with the new screen. Short story:

1. Remove back

2. Slide off viewfinder (either waist-level or prism finder)

3. Push two guides on the sides away from screen

4. Drop screen out

5. Insert new screen

6. When replacing viewfinder, the "guides" will automatically return, keeping the new screen in place.

The whole process takes about 10 seconds at the most, and was quite an improvement for portrait focusing.

Good luck,

Bradley

George

when I replaced my 503cx with the cw last year it came with a regular screen and I immediately changed to the grid screen with the spot in the middle. the advantage is that those grids help alot in making sure you have the horizontal lined up correctly. also, they tend to coincide with regular print sizes in the 4x5/8x10 format so it is much much easier to crop for those sizes right in the camera. it is very very easy to make the switch. and depending on what screen you now have it may be worth some money on the used market. Kevin

George, as Brian noted, the screen can be changed on some models. If you have a 500CM, 501, 503, in other words the more recent models, you change it yourself by pushing the metal clips aside, dropping out the old, inserting the new, and sliding the clips back in place. On earlier models, a 500C for instance, the screen doesn't change without tools, but I think it can be done.

Regards,

Thanks very much to all. Sorry I wasn't clear on the equipment: it's a 501 CM. And I guess I should've looked harder in Wildi's Manual, since the answer is there, or part of it anyhow. I'm sure the split screen, possibly with grid, will help my focussing, but what I just read in Wildi raises other doubts. He says, and I quote, "The main limitation of a split-image rangefinder screen involves lenses. When the aperture of the lens is smaller than f/4, one side of the split-image rangefinder field blacks out. You can no longer use the rangefinder for focusing. Such a screen therefore should not be considered if you use lenses with a maximum f/5.6 or f/8 aperture extensively." If I read this correctly, you can still focus at narrower apertures, but it is more difficult. Question is, how much of a problem is this?

Thanks again,

G.

I agree that the grid helps composition and horizontal horizons etc, but it doesn't help focus at all. If you go for a central split image, you may be able to choose between horizontal, vertical or even diagonal split ( I don't know what options Hasselblad give but i am quite familiar with the independents such as beattie and maxwell). The former works best on subjects with strong verticals, the next with strong horizontals, and the diagonal (which I prefer) with either, so you'll need to think about the characteristics of what you take. For me the measure of a really good screen is whether I can focus accurately and easily on the groundglass with a long lens fitted.