what if ... would you still ...

ed_ivan

Please don't see my post as some kind of trolling. I'm just a little

curious.

Well here in the Leica forum, there are quite a lot of users who are

very passionate about this brand (some would even say obsessed).

Question: Would you still enjoy photography if you had to use

another camera system ?

For me personally, I used Leica R several years and was very

satisfied with it, but changed recently to another system. changing

to another system was certainly not without emotions but more a

result of thinking things over rather objectively.

your thoughts ... (if possible without flaming me or each other)

i'm not sure who obsesses about this brand, the owners or the folks that don't own? At least I experience sometimes that other people get angry about me using a leica, and try to convert me. The Leica brand seems to ignite strong emotions, that's for sure.

As far as using a Leica M, it's more about using a rangefinder camera, as opposed to an SLR, rather than just selecting a Canon or a Nikon, or a Leica. The selection of brands of high-grade rangefinder cameras is rather limited and the Leica M happens to set the gold standard for 35mm rangefinder cameras. Considering its durability and how much fun it is to use, it's no wonder (to me, at least) why some Leica M users are fiercely loyal to the brand (myself included). There simply isn't another 35mm rangefinder camera on the market that could match the Leica M. All other brands are simply compared to Leica M. Just as many other things in life, though, it's a matter of personal preference. Some people don't like using a rangefinder camera and other people think it's great. Bottom line is that even after experimenting with different brands, or even different formats, people tend to gravitate to, and stick with, whatever they are most comfortable with and what gives them the most enjoyment.

Dennis

I use a wide range of formats and equipment.... They are tools. I'm not passionate about any particular brand. Each has advantages and disadvantages and I try to leverage the advantages when shooting. If my Leica equipment ever got to the point where it was no longer useful to what I was doing, it would be gone with no regrets.

I agree with Dennis. As a lifetime SLR user I wanted to try something different as an experiment. I thought about a medium format system but then decided on a rangefinder, and Leica was the obvious choice. If it hadn't been around something else would've been, Canon or whatever. It's just a completely different way of looking at the world and the brand really doesn't matter. The camera is just an end to a means but you are right, some people here are obsessed with the tool itself, or the brand, or whatever. I still have my Nikon F3 system and use it.

I love photography, and used several SLR and RF systems so far. I am no professional although I earned some money doing weddings, portraits and some newspaper stuff while still in school/college. After some time I found RF to be good for travel and weddings and SLR to be good for portraits (wonder who else found that out). I always changed my system completely when I had the feeling that another system would get me better results OR would make buying used stuff easier. Mostly this went without hard feelings. Although I regret giving up my Nikon SLR outfit with 3 Bodies to get me a new Contax RTS III. What a waste. Leica? It was always a dream to have one, like the Porsche when cars is your hobby or the Montblanc or the Rolex (of which I have none). I have not tried Nikon RF or Zeiss RF so I can only say that Leica is the best (quality of bodies and lenses) RF system I have used. If there was no Leica, I'd probably have dreamed about a Nikon SP. About the Leica forum I like that most Leica users (not the professionals) around here have an approach to photography that I like: Take photos and love it, use our Leica equipment and love it, listen to the Leica bashers and smile.

Greetings, Maik

Peter N:

I find that when I settle on something that works for me, I stick with it. Before I hurt my back I was a fairly serious runner. Out of all the running shoes available Nike fit my foot the best. So whenever I bought a new pair, which was fairly often, it was always Nike. I wouldn't even bother to look at anything else. It's not because of the brand name itself, or what image the advertising people would like to convey about the product; it's entirely utilitarian. The fact that Leica carries certain connotations about serious photography is kinda fun sometimes, but if Leica rangefinders didn't suit my taste or style of photography I wouldn't hesitate to switch...even to digital if that's what worked.

Dennis

of course. i dare say i speak for a large part of this community when i say it is about photography first and foremost. Leica M just happend to be a great tool, perhaps the best for certain applications. I bet you 100% of the ppl around here would still be into photography if Leicas were not around.

The great thing is - if you are passioned about something you don't have to think objectively/practically - you act with your heart!

I think that most people on this forum are like me.I started in photography with a rangefinder camera (1965),shot it for 2 years ,then joined the SLR revolution . I went through several SLR systems .I ended up with a Contax RTS system.My type of photo subjects changed, and I got older.Didn't like carrying 30Lbs.of stuff anymore.So I bought my 1st. Leica 15 years ago,German glass spoiled me so there really wasn't much choice.Still use the RTS for wildlife,every thing else is shot with Leicas.I love the camera ,but if something better came along,and I didn't have so much money sunk into the system I would switch.

Patrick:

..right on the money. If you don't have to think about your equipment you can shoot more instinctively.

My daughter plays soccer on several teams and she is acutely aware of how certain brand uniforms fit. It's not about fashion, but strictly utilitarian. If a certain brand jersey fits uncomfortably, and she has to continually adjust it, it may distract her. If her uniform is comfortable, it's one less thing she has to concern herself with.

With certain cameras you can shoot away effortlessly, while with others you may constantly fiddle around with it. Bottom line, though, is that it's me taking the pictures; not my camera. It does help, though, if I don't have to think about what the camera is NOT doing correctly for me. With Leica M cameras it is pretty effortless for some people.

Dennis

"I don't think about my cam at all"

That's basically what I was trying to say; that's the ideal. You don't think about it when you're shooting unless it's NOT serving its purpose correctly. However, it probabaly is human nature for some of us to fall in love with our gear. Some professional golfers fixate on their putters; guitar players name their axes. But, I've never heard of a carpenter naming his hammer, "Betty". ;>) Well, maybe once...

Dennis

<i> ... I don't think of my camera at all ... </i><br><br>

To me, the ideal is that when I'm using the camera, its functions and controls should

disappear to my consciousness and allow me to see photographs, make camera settings

decisions "thoughtlessly", as a natural act based upon my experience and

understanding of exposure, light, focus, etc. In looking for the above, I presume I've

already chosen such that the camera and its optics provide satisfactory competence in

imaging quality.

<br><br>

In short, the camera should allow me to concentrate on taking pictures and not be in the

way. When I'm not using the camera, the fact that it might provide me alternative

entertainment in enjoying its design, build, quality and details is a plus.

<br><br>

I've found that Leica Ms give me this, but so do many other cameras.

<br><br>

Godfrey

That's a funny question. For most Leica shooters I believe the imaging interest came first. For me it was this way, then I went from a Pentax P&S to a Canon 1N and 28-70L (after seeing a big quality difference in my photos compared to my girlfriend's photos from her Rebel w/ supplied zoom). I then realized the size of such a setup and my subjects for photographing, and found the Leica M's compact size and high performance desirable. Sure it's nice to own the equipment, but I'd still enjoy photography w/o it.

I used to think somewhat along the lines of the above, happy with the tools (then nikons) just for the picture's sake. But somehow, since having bought a leica m2 (even had its rangefinder adjusted, it works beautifully now) i somehow dont dare to take pictures anymore, afraid they'd be anything less than sublime, and feel it's not worth processing the 5 rolls i shot since last christmas. Maybe later. It's just more pictures. As if i've made the pics i've always dreamt of making, and then what. <br><br>But guess what? I still cary the thing with me every day, in the little lowepro bag, like a talisman, open the bag now and then in a private moment just to look at it... and... feel it... and... yes, fondle it! All in all, a relatively harmless hobby I'd say. Maybe i'm a moron, who knows? But on the other hand, there is still the chance I'll make pictures, one day, like i used to when i still had the nikons.<br><br>Maybe this will deepen your insight in Leicadom a bit.

Having used just about every other format, other than the Leica, the one most attractive to me was the Rolleiflex TLR. In fact, I think my best work was done with it, but it was just too big and clumsy for a personal camera. Additionally the Leica system afforded use of all focal lengths from wide to super tele. If I wanted to set up a wet darkroom again I suppose the Rollei would get a lot of use, but I have neither the space or inclination for the wet process again, so I will stick with Leica and some form of digital for the rest of my photo days.

No flame intended, but it's not a brand, it's a camera.

I also use a Nikon F2 (also meterless), and for many years it was my only camera. I did have an FE with motor drive -way more functional- but I never enjoyed using it as much as the F2. It died unmourned.

So sure, I love shooting with the F2 as much as with the M2, but for different reasons. Some cameras just get along with you better than others.