DIY Modeling Lamp for DIY Softbox

My home-made softbox is sketched below. Can I use a regular 200-300W

household bulb with it for rough modeling?

I'm aware of heat/voltage issues and I'm able to deal with them. I

need your opinion on the modeling viability.

The idea is to briefly place the bulb in place of the head, position

the box as desired, then put back the flash.

I know the bulb won't be proportional to the flash's intensity; I'm

only interested in rough visualization of lighting (direction,

coverage, etc.)

If a regular bulb's shape is not OK, are there other cheap (non photo

caliber) bulbs that are better?

Finally, how will a regular bulb do with an umbrella instead of a

softbox?<div>007vUe-17454884.jpg.435aa538226225f76a63b3fe2c2a494a.jpg</div>

I've created several softboxes. Both small ones for macro (just 20*30 cm made from small plastic box) and bigger ones (up to 50*70 cm). Forget about normal 200W bulbs - you will have way too much heat inside. Instead, use fluerescent tubes (bulbs?). A 25W fluorescent tube is similar to 130W bulb and you won't have problem with heat. The only disadvantage is that fluorescent tubes cannot change power and 130W is not really much.

Instead of replacing flash by the bulb every time I suggest to make the back side of your softbox slightly bigger (I have 15*20cm) and use it for both the flash and the fluorescent tube at the same time. The upper part has a hole for flash, the lower part is used for the modeling light. It is much quicker and more convinient. You won't notice the small shadow created by the bulb when it is inside softbox.

I don't have good experience with DIY modeling light and umbrella. Softbox worked better for me.

If you are shooting digitally, just take test shots, moving the lights until you get the effect that you want.

This will be a tremendously valuable learning experience and you will soon develop a feel for what to do so you will need fewer tests shots.

If you don't have a digital, run out and get something like a Canon A60, A70, or A80, which have a very usable manual mode.

You can slave your main flashes and use a business card to reflect the light from the built-in flash in the direction of your main strobes.

I like the suggestion in the first reply about simply cutting a hole in the box to insert a

bulb. Maybe in the top or bottom as close to the rear as possible. I think a 150watt bulb

would be fine for short duration and would probably be enough. When you shoot, you

might want to slip the bulb out and not worry about the small hole letting light out. It

would me minimal anyway. BTW, bravo on making your own box .. or at least trying. Some

of my favorite light sources are homemade and sitting right next to my $1000 Octabank.