Large Format without a darkroom?

chris_rini1

Yes, many large-format photographers are doing it in the digital era. I shoot 4x5, process my own film, scan it and create digital Piezography BW prints on an Epson 1280, and larger prints on an Epson 7600.

I load and unload my film holders in a large Harrison film-changing tent. In addition, I also use the tent to load the film into a Jobo Expert drum when getting ready to process the film, which I do on a Jobo CPP-2 processor, which is a daylight process once the film is loaded into the drum.

There are other options as well, but this is my preferred method.

You could try Polaroid P/N and the contact print using Platinum and/or Palladium. 4

by 5 makes beautiful contacts. PtPd had a learning curve but it's not that bad and, for

small prints, doesn't cost that much. It can be done in a bathroom with windows

covered.....

Hi Chris. The old saying, "where there's a will, there's a way" holds true here. Even without going digital, there are a number of options. Polaroid makes a wonderful film called Type 55 P/N, which is a black and white print and negative material. Excellent image quality, great negatives to print from, and no darkroom required. Conventional film processing can be done without a darkroom if you have a daylight tank. Enlarging without a darkroom is not practical unless you go the digital route, but there are papers and processes that do not require darkrooms for printing. The only commercially available Printing Out Paper, or POP, that I know of is available from Chicago Albumen Works:

http://www.albumenworks.com/directions.html

It can be handled and processed in subdued room light, and produces beautiful images. There are several handmade processes that work in a similar fashion, but might be more than you care to bite off for a short term engagement. Here's a link anyway:

http://www.alternativephotography.com/process_albumen_paper.html

There are several processes discussed there, with links. The simplest way by far is the Polaroid P/N 55, but it requires a special Polaroid film holder to use. Still simpler than finding a daylight film tank for conventional film, ordering the POP etc. The POP does come in a nifty tester pack with 15 8x10 sheets (60 4x5) and all the chemistry for $35. You'd need a print frame to sandwich the paper and negative for exposure to sunlight, but one could be fabricated without too much trouble if a proper one couldn't be located. If I was in your position and had $100 to spend, I'd buy a used polaroid 500 film holder for >$20 on ebay, a double box of P/N 55, and the POP tester pack, and have a field day. Good luck

A bathroom can easily double as a darkroom if it can be made

light tight. You have a source of water, ventilation and a tub to do

developing in. I mounted my enlarger on a table with wheels

and a shelf; it ordinarily stays on the back porch. I made it so

that its height is just right for me to sit on the toilet while using

the enlarger. The safelight is clamped on the shower rod. A

radio helps. Kind of cramped but the price is right! Rick

The answer really depends on what film holders you can borrow along with the Crown Graphic! Is there a roll film back available? That's almost as good for learning large format as sheet film is; you can learn about tilts and shifts with the Crown and still get some great negs.

If you have sheet film holders available, then you could bring a changing bag with you so you can re-load. Keep the exposed film in a separate envelope in the film box with something you can feel, like a piece of masking tape, stuck to it so you can differentiate it from the other film envelope(s) in the box and not get mixed up.

If you're planning on shooting 4x5 in the future, you can pick up a Yankee or old FR daylight film tank to develop the film in. Load it in the changing bag. These are good pieces of equipment and should last you close to forever if taken care of.

Polaroid is a superb learning tool as well as being a medium to use for fine art, but hellishly expensive compared to sheet film. So if budget is a consideration, just keep good exposure records and you'll learn from your mistakes.

But if you can afford it, take both Polaroid and conventional film with you, then you can make test shots with the Polaroid.

Or, as mentioned above, use positive-negative Polaroid film and avoid the processing altogether. But bear in mind you need a clearing tank of some sort for the negs, as well as chemistry (I think it's sodium sulfite) even while in the field or your negs will be ruined. (Or you could just wait until you get back to where you're staying to develop out the prints and negs. Then you could use a tray for the negs, in room light.)

I could go on and on (have I already? Gone on and on? ....) But anyway, you get the idea(s). One of another of these posted ideas will get you through.

Most important: Have fun!

Chris, have you considered a rental darkroom? Depending on the city you live in, there may be several choices. In my area, Atlanta, there are a couple. Though set up primarily for 35mm and MF, it does have one 4x5 capable enlarger.

Its great if you do "normal" stuff - silver prints in dektol. If I want to do anything different (like alternate processes, or even alternative chemistry), they're not as able to accomodate. It's a "gang" darkroom - several enlargers with common wet areas.

The other drawbacks to this are 1) not available in all areas, 2) limited hours, and 3) you have to suffer other people's bad habbits (like people not prewashing before dropping thier prints in permawash). How bad the place suffers from #3 depends entirely on the staff and your fellow users. I am fortunate in both reguards where I go.

It has worked out great for me - I've done some really good work under this arrangement.

I use a 4x5 camera and I do not have a darkroom either.

I usually load the whole box of film sheets in the film

holders, I do this with a "Photoflex Film Changing Room", and I save the original box, the plastic envelope and all the cardboard that comes with the film.

When I'm ready to unload the exposed film sheets , I use the "changing room" again, and put all the exposed sheets back in its original box, then I either take it to the local pro lab for processing, or mail it to one of the following:

www.mylab.com--->for black and white film.

www.bestlab.com->for black and white film.

www.aandi.com--->for color neg. and transparency film.

www.color-reflections.com->for AGFA SCALA and color neg. and transparency film.

If you send the film away, ask the lab to return the processed sheets in the original package as you sent them, that way you can always re-use the boxes to send your material for processing.

Personally i do the changing bad (large) + Jobo route with conventional film, and then either scan or cyanotype the negatives. If you pick the right subject matter, 4x5 prints, while small, can be quite satisfying and intimate when matted and displayed. I saw some contact prints of Weston 3x4 graflex negatives years ago, and they worked well in that size. As others have said, you could use Type55 or Type655 Pack film from Polaroid, and cut out the darkroom entirely, though you'll still need a bucket of sodium sulfite to clear the negatives. It's quicker, but in the end not that much more convenient unless you're in the field.

For inexpensive alt-process, Cyanotype or Gum Bichromate would probably do well. You can get pre-made cyano paper from Freestyle, and it only requires water to process. Gum you can do yourself under a dim incandescent bulb, but you have to mix more chemicals. Scan/Photoshop(etc) is probably the most convenient these days, especially as it won't take too macho a scanner to get to 16x20 from a 4x5 negative.

Hi Chris,

thanks for the good discussion topic. As you can see from all the replies, there are a number of ways you can go depending on your finances, and whether or not you want to actually process your own film. I will try to summarize the possibilities for you and others.

Your question really breaks down to 3 problems.

1. How do I load large-format film without a darkroom?

a. You can load and unload your film holders in a large changing bag or tent. I would suggest the tent because it is much easier to work with, but a bit more expensive. You could also just use a bathroom or closet if you seal it against light.

b. Use the Fuji Quickload / Kodak readyload film. This film seals in light-tight envolopes so there is no need for a changing bag or dark room. These require the use of a special holder from Fuji or Kodak, or you can use a polaroid 545 holder. I would sugest staying away from the kodak holder from what I have read.

c. Use polaroid film. The polaroid 545 and 545i holders slide behind the ground glass just like a regular 4x5 film holder. These produce 3x4 inch polaroid prints or negatives.

2. How do I process the Large format film without a dark room?

a. You can unload your film using the same changing bag/tent into a daylight processing tank, then process the film in your kitchen/bathroom with the lights on. There are many tanks/systems available. The cheap square FR/Yankee tanks are NOT well liked. The nikkor and HP Combiplan tanks have many good reviews. The Jobo system is excellent,(from what ive read) but expensive. Another way to do it is to use a rotary print drum and motor base (unicolor,chromega,or ilford cibachrome). This is what I finally settled on. In an 8x10 print drum, you can process 4 sheets of film with only 150-200ml of chemical. The negs look great, and you can do other things while the negs are rolling. Some developing times may need to be changed because of the constant agitation.

b. Send your negs to a lab for development. Some have quoted prices from their local deveoping labs for under $2 a sheet. I havent done this myself yet, but if you are using slide film, I would suggest it. The Readyloads/quickloads can be sent in their envolopes. For regular sheet film, load it back into its original box.

c. Some polaroids need to be washed, but that can be done in daylight. Search photo.net for more info.

3. OK, now I want to make some prints, how do I do that without a darkroom?

a. You can make contact-prints without an enlarger. There are some alternative print processes where you do not even need a sealed darkroom. Not very impressive for 4x5, but great for 8x10s.

b. Send it to a lab. Just had to add this.

c. Scan it digitally, print to a inkjet printer. There are many great photo printers around. 4x5 film scanners are harder to find though. I have a canon 1230u/f that does an OK job on 4x5's. Epson also has a few models which scan 4x5s. Also many scanners have an optional lid that allows full size transparency scans. Note that if you are using polaroid prints, you can scan from any flatbed scanner and produce really nice 8x10 prints.

d. Find a public darkroom. In Sacramento, there is a public darkroom available which chrges reasonable hourly rates. Some collages have open darkrooms for rent on certain days. If you take a class, they often give you unlimited time in the darkroom.