Broken Mirror in Ciroflex

jason_fitzmaurice

I have been enjoying using my late grandfather's ciroflex. It is a

model E I believ with the Rapax shutter.

Last Night, I took it out of my camera bag to hear an enoying rattle.

A quick look through the finder told me something was wrong with the

mirror. Tonight I took the finder off, and the mirror is broken into

five pieces, and is no longer glued down.

Does anyone know of a good source for a replacement mirror. Other than

this the camera works beautifully, and I would very much like to

repair it.

Thanks,

Jason

It might actually be cheaper to get a thin front-surface mirror from an optical surplus dealer and have it cut to fit the space. Cutting these mirrors is easy -- put the mirror on a protective surface like 2-3 layers of clean cotton t-shirt, and cut from the back (uncoated) side with an ordinary glass cutter. Once the mirror is the correct size and shape, it can be installed by anyone competent to disassemble the camera. It's probably not glued in; more likely, it's held in a bracket of some sort.

<i>I'm not sure if camera mirrors are 1st surface: anyone knows?</i><p>

Any mirror in an optical path should be first surface; otherwise, you'll get ghost imaging (which may just show as a progressively fainter smear of blurring) from internal and first surface reflections. Any mirror taken from a camera (like the SX-70 mentioned, or from another TLR) will be first surface, assuming it doesn't get turned over while you're installing it -- not an easy mistake to make, but possible if the glass is very clean.<p>

The warning about resetting the focus is a good one -- a fraction of a millimeter difference in thickness could be significant. This is easy to do with most TLRs, just like setting the focus on the taking lens for a unit focusing folder. For front-focusing TLRs (which usually have gears mating the two lenses) it's a little more complicated, but still not too bad, just requires learning how to disengage the gear from the front element. If you have the work done, anyone who's competent to replace the mirror should do the focus adjustment as a matter of course.

My first real camera was a Ciro-Flex given to me by my step grandfather in the mid 50's. The Wallensak (sp?) lens was really sharp. Mine had the Alphax shutter but otherwise I believe the same. I don't have an answer to your broken mirror but your post evoked memories. I don't have the camera anymore but interestingly enough, only Sunday I ran across a lens shade in leather case and 3 or 4 filters for black and white which can be mounted with the lens shade along with the instruction book (purchase price written in pencil -- 49.95 (about 1948) if I remember correctly (no tax then)). They are yours if you would like.

Thanks for everyone's advice. I've found a mirror and may take a stab at repairing it myself, but I'm also getting quotes. I know the camera isn't technically worth metch, but I've been surprised by what it can do, and being my late Grandfather's it has sentimental value.

Eventually I would love to move up to a better camera, but for now as a stay at home dad, that's beyond my needs.

James,

I would love to have them, how much do you want for them?

The inability to convienantly use any filters, or a shade has been the only real drawback on this camera.