Yosemite

charles_twiss1

A fortnight might be too long for the tourist, but too short for the serious photographer.

Rather than expound on my personal thoughts on this glorious valley, I would suggest the following books, some of which may be purchased at the park headquarters bookstore, should you not be able to acquire them while still in the UK.

"PhotoSecrets Yosemite" by Andrew Hudson. I think that this is the single most important book for the first-time photographer there. More info at http://www.photosecrets.com.

"Yosemite, the Official National Park Handbook". IBSN 0-912627-37-9.

Lots of general information on camping and hiking. It may be purchased from the

Superintendent of Documents,

U.S. Govwernment Printing Office,

Washington, DC 20402

National Geographic has a "Destination Map of Yosemite National Park" showing access roads and trails. It is on durable plastic, just right for planning your treks. Go to www.nationalgeographic.com.

There are many other good vademecums, but these are the most portable and value for the buck. (Or should I say Quid?)

The best time to go is right now.. I'm going up in the morning( assuming the roads are clear).

Failing that, spring is pretty kicking in The Valley. Try to go before Easter, since that is when the crowds start to pick up. The waterfalls will be in full gear, and the weather will be the most consistently nice( although a little rainy at times).

Have fun!

Any time of the year is good. Not during the summer would be my recommendation. Camping is a political football (the American pointy kind that bounces funny) because of competing interests that want to tell the government how to manage this American treasure.

RV camping would be restricted to established campsites. Except for the heaviest spring flow periods, usually late May where there may be restrictions due to flooding and then the rest of summer through labor Day, I'd expect valley RV camping would be possible without advanced reservations except for the Christmas and Easter vacation periods. With an RV, you should easily be able to camp outside the valley in campgrounds any time of the year. Budget and weather conditions can reduce the number of options but I doubt that you would be closed out entirely. Weekends may be a problem all year but once you are ensconced, I doubt it would be a problem (but you need to verify with the Park, I don't live close enough to do weekends there so only plan longer outings anyways).

Significant chunks of the high country are closed to vehicle travel during the winter and that extends perhaps to late spring and maybe early summer depending on snow fall. Basically you can't get over Tioga Pass so all of the high country, Tuolumne Meadows, etc. is not available. However, the sequoia groves and much of the rest of the west side from Wawona to the Valley, the whole valley and out the Merced Canyon, etc. is open all year. Fall can be colorful and still get access to the high country. Spring is wet but combines varying weather, snow, rain and clear days for some beautiful times. Late spring is usually best for the waterfalls. Summer is usually very crowded in the popular road accessible areas but after Tioga opens, it's not that difficult to escape the crowds except in the main valley areas. Winter and early spring may have some weather related travel restrictions, chain requirements and added closures but those usually aren't too long lasting.

Two weeks may not be long enough depending on your desires and activity levels. But it's likely to allow you enough time to see everything and spend a lot of time in your favorite spots.

I don't claim them to be great but have some shots from last spring, the week after Easter. We missed snow in the valley by chance due to our schedule and couldn't plan for it to always snow at any given time of the winter, the valley is relatively low. It was cold and wet but spectacularly beautiful anyways.

http://www.pbase.com/gillettecraig/apr03yosemite

The wildflowers are from the Gorman area near Los Angeles

Look, I know it'll be considered heresy to say anything remotely

derogatory about Yosemite, but in my view two weeks is

unnecessarily long for a first visit. Sure, it's better when you can

get to access the higher country (though these times of year

bring more crowds) but still there are locations not far away that

would to me at least carry more interest than a second week in

Yosemite unless I had a very specific objective there. Mono

Lake, Bodie, Kings Canyon/Sequoia, or even Death Valley if you

flew into Las Vegas instead of SF.

Most of the great shots in Yosemite are very dependent on