I just purchased a Pentax 6x7 and am excited to enter the world of

medium format. My next step is to have a tripod system. My largest

lens is a 200mm and I will be using this equipment primarily while

hiking. Any suggestions, comments, affirmations or warnings are

welcome on the following system: Manfrotto 055mf3 tripod, Arca-Swiss

B1 w/ QR, and a RRS plate. Also, is there an L bracket for the 67 or

is it only available for the 67II.

Perhaps this is redundant from previous discussions, but I have not

seen anything regarding magfiber and the 67. How about wood?

Thanks ~ Dan

Hi Dan. I don't know if this will help you, but I'll post it anyway. I use both an older 6x7 and the newer 67 II. Both have RRS plates attached, very nice! I use two tripods: one is a CF Gitzo 1325 with an Acratech Ultimate ball head, the other a rather heavy Bogen-Manfrotto 3236 with a Bogen 3047 3-way head. I use the Bogen with the Pentax 400mm f4 lens, or when I want super rock-steady macro shots. The Gitzo is a dream for travel. With the Acratech head, it is an extremely light yet stable platform. I think it would be difficult to find a more superior set of sticks for hiking. The Gitzo/Acratech combo would handle the 200 perfectly. Regards.

Hi Daniel.

I hike a lot too with the 67. I have a Gitzo Carbon Fiber G1348 that I bought from Robert White of England when the US dollar wasn't doing so poorly, it was a great deal and is an excellent tripod. I use a small Markins Ball head that has an Arca Swiss Quick release and a L bracket from either Really Right Stuff or Kirk Enterprises (I can't recall). To me the Arca Swiss Ball is great, but too heavy (and expensive). The L bracket is essential as the camera otherwise hits the legs on verticals, but it is hard to find. If you look in the archives someone here posted a way to make your own L bracket for the old 67.

I've used a couple of different backpacks, currently I have a Nature Treker from LowPro and can carry a 67, two or three lenses (55, 135, 200), extension tubes and a Pentax 35mm backup body. Very comfortable and very hikeable.

Dan, I have the Gitzo Carbon Fiber G1348 that I bought from Robert White of England also when the exchange rate was much better and the Acratech Ultimate ball head. Kirk and RRS have L brackets but I think they are both for the newer P67II but you should double check for sure. I have seen L brackets show up on *Bay, not too many and not to often. I use a bag like Dougs for hiking. Good shooting, Rick

Hi,

I used to use my P67 with a Gitzo G1126 and Arca Swiss B-1 with a B68 RRS Plate. With the 55mm/4 and 105/2.4 lens, everything was sharp, but the 200mm usually came up less sharp. This used to be my hiking kit, with the 55/4 lens and the waist level finder. The weight was not too much and I could use 220 film for 20 shots per roll :). As I had a hook on the bottom of my G1126, I could hang my backpack on it for even more stability.

I would suggest using this as a lightweight kit for hiking etc, as it is really light and stable enough.

I now use a Gitzo G1410 and boy, are the photos much sharper for the 200mm!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks fellas. I have decided to try the 055mf3 with the B-1 and a RRS plate. I tested out the Gitzo 1325 but was not fond of the twist lock. I found myself using both hands to unscrew the tightened locks because if I left the knobs too loose, the leg section would unwantedly twist leaving me twisting endlessly. Perhaps that is not clear but to simplify, I did not find the tripod user-friendly. Of course it takes time to become quick and proficient with a specific tripod, however I could not see this happening for me in the near future with the 1325. Another dislike was the easy scuffing of the carbon fiber material. It seemed very sensitive to any ding.

On the contrary, I did like the lightweight materials and the carrying capacity. I am hoping the 055mf3 will offer similar stability but less fuss due to the flip-lock mechanism.

The B-1 is a dream, specifically the panning feature! Of course the RRS customized plate secures my outfit beautifully. Now if I could only find a Kirk L-bracket for the 6X7 ... I am open to offers!

Any comments about my frustrations with the twist locks of the 1325?

Thanks for your input and by the way, my Lowepro Nature Trekker is on the way.

The trick to using Gitzo tripods is to not over tighten or over loosen..

Usually a half twist of your wrist is enough to release the lock and another then half twist to tighten it. The best way is to get another photographer who uses Gitzo tripods to show you how it is done.

I find the bogen/manfrotto locks much harder to use and more painful on my hands as I need to use more force (so much so that I gave away my manfrotto 190 / bogen 2001 a few years ago).

• 3 years later...
Daniel! Have you solved your problem with the L bracket? Me too, I just purchased a Pentax 6x7 w/MLU (not the 67 or 67II body), and can't find an L bracket for this camera that will mount on my Arca-Swiss B1 ball head with Quick releae. I found one on Kirk Entrprise web site, the Kirk L-Bracket BL-67II, but they say, I quote, " Fits only the Pentax 6x7 II". Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks