20mm focal length: opinions and recommendations

witolda_maruszewska

I really like the way I can see the world at 20mm so I'm looking for

a lens with this focal length to add ultra wide coverage to my

current system. Whatever I get will complement a 28-70 2.8L, a 50 1.8

and a 100-400L IS used on a D60 camera body.

The problem is that there are so many options to choose from (OEM and

third party, prime and zoom, new and used) and each particular choice

has its own benefits and drawbacks. I have searched the archives here

but the past posts haven't really provided the answers I'm seeking.

I need a lens that is well-built, lightweight, relatively fast for

available light / indoor shooting and provides me with good

sharpness, good colour rendition and a resistance to flare.

So if you shoot at this focal length, I'd like to hear - along with

your recommendations to buy and which lemons to avoid - your

experiences and opinions on the lenses that you use, why you chose

that particular lens etc.

Please do NOT suggest the 16-35 2.8L as I have borrowed one - and

while I liked the image quality, I did not particularly enjoy the

feel of the lens and barely used it wider than 20mm. However, I am

open to buying used, so would consider an older lens if it meets my

needs.

Tokina 20-35mm (not the ATX version) Seemed OK but got rid of it when it needed rechipping to work with an EOS3. This lens has been superseded by a 19-35mm

Replaced it with Canon's own 20-35 f3.5-4.5. Very happy with this lens. It's also had good write ups in AP and Practical Photography.

If this is not fast enough, then Tokina make a 20-35mm ATX f2.8. This was also highly rated by the reviewers.

The comparison benchmark that I use is the Leica 21mm Aspheric, measured against this standard the Canon 20mm is perfectly acceptable as long as it's stopped well down, say f5.6 to f11.

At wider apertures it's soft and flare prone, drifting to very soft/unuseable out in the corners. If you shoot full frame, film or digital, you'll also notice some colour fringing either side of any vertical, high contrast objects at the frame edges (such as tree branches against the sky), tis occurs at all apertures. This can be effectively cleaned up with chromatic abberation software, but if you're like me you'd rather it wasn't there in the first place! All in all the 20mm is a decent lens, but it's not a world beater.

I have an <a href="http://www.adorama.com/CA2028AF.html?searchinfo=ef%2020&item_no=8">EF 20/2.8</a> that I like well enough. I find composing at 20mm challenging, but the lens itself is nicely built and reasonably fast.

<p>

I picked this particular lens because I'm most comfortable with primes. I've shot with it enough to know that the picture quality is limited by the person behind the camera, not the lens. A more accomplished photographer might feel differently. I mostly shoot B&W, so I can't really help you with color rendition.

I have just sold my 20mm/2.8. I found that the 2.8 was quite dark for available light situations that I get into and a bit too wide for my taste. In other words I have been using my 24mm for wide angle shots and very rarely used the 20mm.

The 20mm is a well built lens. Nice and solid. Just not for me right now.

To answer Paul's question, my problem with the 16-35L was that it simply wasn't the right lens for me - which is probably why I didn't feel happy with it. The basic issue was that a good part of the "interesting" range on the lens didn't really suit my style of shooting. I've no complaints per se about the mechanical aspects of the lens.

16mm on a D60 was too wide for me because I kept on cropping everything shot that I took with it. On the other hand, 20mm felt just right :)

Thanks for all the replies and views so far, keep them coming! BTW, has anyone had any experience with the Sigma 20mm f1.8 prime?

I would not want to experience any lens trying to do too much for too little - the Sigma included. I think you have set your sights pretty high with the lenses that you have and although I know the Canon EF 20mm f2.8 is not the best Canon lens it is the best lens available for the specific focal length you require and fits in very well with your 28-70. If you were considering replacing that lens with a wider zoom then you would have several more options to consider.

Witolda,

Do you like the way you see the world at 20mm, or do you like the way you see the world at 20mm on your D60? It makes a big difference.

I am one of those that have not migrated to the digital world yet. I am waiting for the 1Ds-II. :-) Personally, I don't like the world seen in anything less than 24mm on a 35mm body. But for you, since you already own the 28-70L, the 16-35L (or even the 17-40L) makes perfect sense. Why? You get continuous coverage between 20mm (which you like) and 28mm (which you own). Granted that you may never use the range between 16mm and 19mm, but that's only 4mm's worth of sacrifices. Fortunately, the range between 20mm and 28mm will be immensely interesting to you. As we all know, with wide angles, a small focal length change can mean a world of difference. I think that's a sacrifice worth taking. Who knows? May be some day you'll find some use of the remaining 4mm.

Cheers,

Tom