digital vs Medium Format

A few things to consider - you already have 35mm gear (you don't say which brand), so it's very possible that you'll be able to share lenses between a DSLR and your current system.

However, most digital cameras have smaller sensors than 35mm film, and the same lenses won't give the same angle of view. Worse, in some lens ranges you'll find gaps that'll prevent you from using the angle of view you'd like (if you're a Canon user and are used to shooting with a 100mm, you'll have trouble if you get a 10D. If you're used to 85mm the 1D would be problematic).

Digital and film workflows are somewhat different. You need to take the learning curve into account if you plan to expand in the direction of digital.

Hi Matthew.<br>

I would like to vote for MF, (since that was my recent choice for better Landscape photography), but in your case I think Digital may be better ( each has it's pluses). As mentioned above, with the DSLR you will most likly get to use the same lenses.<br>

Also...with MF you may want to get a scanner (a thing i am longing for now) if you like to work with PS.<p>

how often do you enlarge (or plan on enlarging) to bigger sizes? that may be another consideration.<br>

A DSLR would probably allow you to get some quicker shots when doing candids ( ...not that MF wouldn't with some experience) <p>

Good luck!, i'm sure will get a lot of great advice soon :)

I have both (Digital and Medium Format)... I use my digital for projects that require shooting a lot of photos. My Medium format is used for projects such as aerials or landscape. Most of the portraits are completed with my digital because not too many people require more than an 11X14 enlargement. Also, out of a handfull of photos, your client may only choose one or two for enlarging. It's nice to not have to pay for film processing and prints on 60+ photos. Your profit margin will increase with a digital.

My cameras are :

Mamiya 645afd

Canon 10d

I like them both. It just depends on what you want to accomplish. There are digitals out there that have the ability to be enlarged more than an 11X14. I just can't afford them!

My Canon 10D produces 8x10's from my local Frontier shop just as good as my MF gear. While I admit a little post processing is required, my results are what I want and not what the labs wants me to have via their own filter and paper corrections.

If you like to just take the pictures, not mess with the post images at all, and simply want the lab to develop the prints for you, then opt for 6x6 or 6x7 MF camera. If you want to take the lab out of the equation and get more control, get a 6mp dSLR. I work with some very good labs that handle high end portrait shooters using MF, and there are solid arguements both ways. The MF guys that want to simply shoot film, and drop it off trusting the experienced eye-balls of the lab staff has no desire to switch to digital. My preference for instantly seeing every shot after I shoot it and being willing to check every image before printing gives my vote to digital.

The lens comments above are silly. Unless you shoot portraits with a fisheye, the added magnification factor with a dSLR is a benefit. a 50mm lens on a digital Rebel or Nikon D70 equates to about a 80mm on 35mm, which is typically ideal for portrait work.

Thanks for you responses. My 35mm is Canon. I have a Elan 7, and a elan IIe. I have been helping a friend with her accounting and yesterday she lent me her mamiya C330. She used to shoot weddings with it. I am floored. It saeems like a great camera. She has three lenses, 65,80, and 135mm. I am going to shoot with it for a while, and when I get some jobs and $$ i will get a digital SLR.

Thanks for your quick responses and insights.

Matthew

I have just started doing work in the Portrait business, and I use a combination of 35mm and 6x4.5 format. It depends on what your clients want. Since I am still in the starting phase of this endeavor, I want to gradually build up my equipment, so that within a year or so, I can get a good digital camera as a part of my 35mm system (Nikon, btw). That way, I can be a little bit of every thing to everybody. I think it is a very wise business decision to be able to shoot well through all formats. You never know what kind of curves are going to be thrown at you. If you just want to do "MotoPhoto" type work, then chuck it all and get a digital. Good Luck!!!

For just a moment, let me take the discussion beyond the standard "can you take good pictures with a digital camera" and talk about workflow.

I don't shoot with multiple strobes without a polaroid. Simple rule. Often shooting portraits you get "the shot" on a polaroid, and then struggle to recapture the expression shooting film. With digital, each shot is a "polaroid" and a final image. If your first shot is perfect, you can move on.

I agree that one of each (preferable 35 mm digital and MF digital) is ideal, but I get what I need with my 10D.

Now, if you are going large (bigger than 10x15) MF has an edge in tonal transitions.

• 4 weeks later...
Digital has definite advantages, no doubt about it, and it serves a purpose that film cannot, and that is instant pictures. So, you need everything you can afford to get. BTW, sorry about the MotoPhoto dig. Its one of the budget type consumer lab type places that also do portraits. They are quite successful, I shouldn't knock them.

• 9 months later...
I struggled with that film/digital question for quite sometime. I really like the quality of medium format work, but did not want all of the "hassle" involved with film. I've done darkroom work and enjoyed it at that time, but always thought it would be great to have a window in the darkroom to look outside... Well you probably know the feeling. I finally decided on digital all the way and just ordered a 20D. It should be here next week. I think it will give me the flexibilty I want and the digital darkroom I now prefer. We'll see how it all goes.