Nikon S2 Synchro dial

mark_peters

After many years I have "re-inherited" my grandfather's Nikon S2

rangefinder. Dating from about 1956 it is still in jewel-like

condition and functions perfectly even after years of non-use.

Do any of you know the function of the synchro dial on this camera?

It has settings for x, and then 60 through 1000. Do I set this to

match the selected shutter speed? But with a flash synch speed of

only 1/50, what is the synchro dial actually doing?

Mark,

Unless you have access to an old bulb flash unit and some FP (focal plane) bulbs, you need to stick to electronic flash and 1/50 sec. FP bulbs burned slower & allowed the use of the faster shutter speeds, but you needed to select the correct sync so the bulbs would sync with the opening of the shutter blinds. If you try shooting with an electronic flash at faster speeds you wind up with blank areas where the shutter blind cuts off the area exposed because it cannot close fast enough.

First, I am glad that your Grandfather's S2 ended up with someone that will actually use it, and not just "auction it off."

As stated before, the Synchro dial adjustments are for FlashBulb. For electronic flash, set to "X" and 1/50th or below. According to Rotoloni in "Nikon Rangefinder Cameras", if you have the chrome shutter-speed dial version, the flash will fire whenever the release is pressed. I have yet to use my Nikon RF's with a flash! Being able to shoot at F1.4 at 1/15 without mirror slap will spoil you.

Strange S2 "feature": at 1/1000s setting, the shutter-speed dial does not go all the wat back down. Nothing wrong with the camera.

I have the original manuals for the S2, SP, and S. I would be glad to look up anything for people, and plan to put them on my "to-scan" and post list. The manual for the S4 is available on the web at pacificrim camera. The S3 is close enough to the S4 for most things.

I don't know if the S2 is the same as the Nikon F, but the correct setting on the F is "FX" for electronic flash. Nice camera and nice story behind it. Hope to see you post some images from it.

You may also get some good info at the classic cameras (pre 1970) forum here at photo.net, maybe even score a manual.