Flaming Pear has a filter made just for that purpose. It's called Melancholytron. http://www.flamingpear.com/melancholytron.html

Notice how the price is just a little bit higher than that of an actual Holga camera. Obviously I cannot dictate what you should buy, but I think that this type of Photoshop readymade effect-filter immitation-thing is a soul-less substitute for the real thing. In my opinion, applying a bunch of filters on a photo to make it look "melancholy" isn't... well, it isn't photography, that's for sure. I think you should buy a real Holga or a Diana or something like that instead and get the entire aquire-target-compose-click-shutter-zen-type of experience from the beginning. Method and moment is important as well as content and looks. I have spoken.

Holga pictures vary considerably, depending on the camera, and whether the mask is removed or opened up for the picture. Mine, with a mask opened up, don't vignette near as much as a lot of the pictures I see posted. I suppose you could come up with a Holga filter all right, but it should properly have a range of settings, not a single output.

Part of the attraction of the Holga pictures is in the composition, not in the camera. Holgas give square pictures, which is a break for us 35mm types. That gets you thinking differently right off the bat. Holgas are not real sharp, and are sharper and brighter in the center. That gets you taking pictures where the subject is somewhat centered (normally a no-no) and you find yourself photographing things with simple compositions (as opposed to a mass of details). I also find myself taking pictures with them more because of the attractiveness of a scene, rather than as documentation.

Personally, I can't see much use for a filter to give a Holga effect. What would be enormously useful would be a Hasselblad filter that would give my Holga pictures that tack-sharp-all-over Hasselblad look. : )

I asked the very same question [under the thread: Imaging Techniques>Emulating(B&W, IR, Etc.) no less]. I just about got screamed out of PNet. I don't like buying ready made filters, but I am firmly convinced anything the programmers can do, I can do better, albeit slower.

My post:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0055Rd

Good luck. If you're reading this and about to suggest we buy a Holga, don't. I have one and still use Corel Draw to muck up a perfectly sharp, well exposed negative. Almost everyone here does some post production editing to some degree. And yes, everyone knows you can't use a computer to make a Holga look like a 'blad (but those crime scene technicians on CSI: Miami have some REALLY good software.)

• 4 months later...
  • 5 years later...