angles, exposures, etc..) that I would want to capture on film. Much

like shooting a Polaroid.

Output would be used primarily for web and 4x6 or 5x7's for personal

use printed off of an Epson 1280.

I'm curious what other people here have done that are still committed

to film for serious work but bought another camera for the situations

I described above and what their thought process was and how it has

worked out for them. I am not interested in a Digital SLR at this

time so please do not recommend a 10D or Digital Rebel.

Thanks in advance.

<a href="http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/a80/">http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/a80/</a>

<p>

A fantastic camera, you can't go wrong with it. 600 shots in the first week (all getting used to/testing the camera) on a single set of 2200 mAH NiHM's.

<p>

I'm still quite new to photography and still quite committed to learning with film. However, much of my family is not pleased when I haul out the SLR at gatherings. Right away they are intimidated. A digital point and shoot was a perfect solution for this. It's got a bit of a "oh neat" factor for them, so they're more interested in having a photo taken that they can review right afterward. It's pocketable, highly functional, and let's admit it, a fun toy :)

histogram function..

If you shoot slides, you'd find the feature of a histogram essential to make sure your image doesn't have blown highlights or too dark areas..

Also buy one with manual controls.. and possibly aperture settings that can emulate the ones you would be using in real time with slide.

You'd have to buy one with tele zoom to cover the focal lengths you shoot with slides..

any camera that meets these would give you 4x6 and/or 5x7 easily..

I went for the Canon Powershot S50. I didn't felt the need for another SLR and the G5 is too bulky for carry around all the time. The S50 is basically a G5, but without a hotshoe, slower lens and fixed screen. The A80 was interresting as well but I want a camera that can store files in RAW format and that can use Microdrives.

Siu Fai

I went for the Canon Powershot G3.

I`m too a slide shooter and found the g3 very useful for the situations You describe - it has a histogram, manual control and RAW format - so You can make good 8x10 prints from it.

Yes CCDs and slide film are very similar, actually the CCD has only 4 stops latitude, so You should play safe if the exposure is right on the G3 (The only hassle i found is that the selected ISO doesn`t quite match that of film, so the ISO 50 setting on the G3 looks much more like 80-100 in film terms).

Oh and don`t believe the LCD screen - look at the histogram!

BTW - the G3 has also an interesting function the blown highlits appear flashing on the LCD screen so You allways know what is "blown out"!

The battery lasts forever, and the flip out LCD screen is wonderfull - so much for different angles, but the next thing You`d buy is a screen shield for viewing outdoors in the sun.

Happy shooting.

Well, there is a gazillion of cameras... If something small is needed I would try G2/G3 or G5... I saw A60 images a few times, and did not like something in them.

There is not a lot of difference as far as I remember in G2 and G3.

But again there is the whole world of small digiral PS. I would just browse the galleries and see what kind of images I like more.