Lens focal length question.. regards to Mamiya 7

brian steinberger

I'm looking to buy a 150mm lens for my Mamiya 7ii. I'm curious though, My 80mm

that I have now has a minimal focus distance of 3.25' and the 150mm's minimum

focus distance is 5.9' I can't figure it out. If I stand 6' from a subject

with the 150mm and then stand 3.25' from the subject with the 80mm, which one

will get me a tighter frame? Thanks

Brian

I have both lenses and the framing is really quite similar between the 80 at close focus and the 150 at close focus. Unless there were a compelling reason to chose the 150 for those close in situations, the 80 is much easier to use, better framing in the finder and more accuracy with the rangefinder.

Simply put, this is not a camera designed for close in work. Many people have had questions about portraiture with the M7 cameras and my response is that I do portraiture with other cameras.

Good luck.

Eric

I agree. The 80mm is really more versatile in this regard, but the Mamiya 7 stops at

environmental portraiture. If you are used to 35mm, just think "Could I shoot this portrait

with a 40mm lens?" If the answer is yes, you are good to go, but if not, then find another

camera. This also not to downplay the 150mm lens -- it is an amazing optic...just not good

for close focus. I am sure they could have made it focus closer and perform well, but the

rangefinder baselength in the camera would just not be long enough to focus it accurately.

Ease of focus is a reason to use the 80 rather than the 150 when both will do. However there are differences associated with the different viewing position too which might affect how your picture looks.

Also, you might find it easier to control parallax error with the 80 since the regular finder will give you some clues, whereas with the std finder the 150 frame is a kind of small patch in the middle which makes compostion and focus rather more difficult and has no correction guides. I bought a 150 for landscape-type things some way away, not to make close photographs easier, because it won't.

An 80mm lens on 6x7 format is slightly wide of "normal", so you need to bear in mind the effect of depth of field and perspective at close quarters. I'm not sure what type of subject you want to fill the frame with, but if I really had to use either the 80mm or the 150mm to fill the frame with a head and shoulders portrait for instance, I'd be inclined to use the 80mm simply because it is an easier lens to use on the M7 than the 150mm. By choice, I would use neither lens or the M7 anyway as I don't beleive the M7 was ever designed for that type of work. Landscape, travel and stock imagery is where the M7 excels.