Will a Speedlite 300 EZ work on a Powershot G3?

samusiskin

I don't believe it will in TTL.

I believe it needs EX flash units just like other Canon E-TTL digital cameras. I think it will fire the flash, but only in a less than satisfactory full manual. I know that is the case with the Powershot G5.

Greg's right, the G series Canons need an EX series Speedlite. The G cameras, and all Canon Digital SLRs, require E-TTL capable flash units. The EZ's will just fire full power all the time. Of course, at some distances, ISOs and apertures, the exposure will be correct. Or if you had a EZ that had manual power control like the 420EZ and 430EZ, you could manually set the power for the shot.

The G series, and all Canon DSLRs will also work with auto flash units like the Vivitar 283 or Sunpak 383, but check their sync voltage first. You don't want to be frying your camera with a cheap flash unit. 6 volts max.

<I>"The only EZ flash that is officially listed as being compatable with the G3 is the 430EZ."</I>

<P>

Rob, where is this official list? Every thing I have ever read states that all G series Canon's require E-TTL, and that they do not even have a TTL flash meter in them. How could they, since TTL readings are taken from reflections off the film and the G3 doesn't have film? This doesn't make sense Rob. Give us some supporting documentation, or at least some collaborating evidence from another user.

<P>

I know you can use the 430EZ in manual mode with the G3, and manually select power to correct exposure, or change the aperture to correct exosure, but TTL isn't even possible on a G3. Are you sure you weren't using a 420EX?