Cleaning Kodak Retina 2c Schneider lens

I just got my dad's Retina (in mint condition), however I think the

lens needs to be cleaned. I do have the German made lens kit

(imported) that is designed to be used on Contax Zeiss "T" lenses. I

assume I can use this.

Can anybody confirm this or offer advice? I certainly don't want to

botch this.

Thanks for any input.

The answer is yes (although I don't have any idea what what a Contax lens cleaning kit looks like) if it is for cleaning lens glass. You can also use windex and a box of Kleenex of you wish.

What is important is that you:

(1) first use a blower to get rid of any grit and dust particles and then:

(2) gently brush (with a very soft lens brush) to dilodge particles that may be stuck to the glass. Finally:

(3) apply the lens cleaning solution to the tissue (not directly to the lens) so it is damp ro rhe touch and gently wipe in a circular motion. You then need a dry tissue to finish the job, if the cleaning fluid dries before you finish very gently buffing with the dry tissie, breath on the glass to provide a litle moisture don;t try applying preassure to rub it off.

If you work next to a desk lamp with an ordinary household incandescent lightbulb you should be able to see the work progress clearly.

Good luck with the camera! You might want to check the shutter blades for oil while you are sitting next to that lamp, it will show up as dark areas. If there is oil on the blades you may need to get a CLA for it.

Please excuse my editing re: the last bit of #3,

You then need a dry tissue to finish the job, if the cleaning fluid dries before you finish breath on the glass to provide a little moisture (don't try applying preassure to rub it off) then very gently buff with the dry tissie.

I think that's beter?

There are a thousand and more different recommendations how to clean lenses. Most of the stuff offered today by major manufacturers will be useful. I personally prefer the lenspen for the last run of cleaning.

The Retina lenses seem to have a quite solid coating so there is little risk of damaging it when cleaning it with suitable materials. When using any liquids do not use them abundantly - they may flow into the innards and you'll have to disassemble the lens to remove the residues. Do not use more than indicated by the manufacturer, usually you have just to wet a tissue.

BTW I have seen more lenses damaged by too much cleaning efforts (rubbing marks, damaged coating etc) than by too less cleaning. I once run across a lens where a fingerprint was etched into the coating.

A few weeks ago, I was at my local photo shop and witnessed a demo by one of the salesman. He took a new Zeiss lens (US $2500) and covered the front surface with his finger and thumbprints. Needless to say, I was horrified. Then he took a device, I don't know what the name is, that looks like a plastic ball point pen complete with pocket clip. At one end is a soft brush, which he used to brush away any possible particles. Under a cap at the other end was what looked like a shallow soft rubber suction cup with a diameter of about 1/2 to 3/8 inch. He then rubbed the lens with the rubber thing using a circular motion and apparently got rid of all the greasy finger prints. The cost of the device is around US $10.00.

I bought one but haven't needed to use it yet. Does anyone have any expert opinions on using such a device. Would it suitable for classic cameras which are reputed to have softer coatings? Your thoughts, please.

The device you have is the lenspen I already mentioned. I have seen it with several other trade marks, Kodak used to sell them, too.

I can't say whether the lenspen can damage old coatings. If I damaged them during the cleaning process it usually happened BEFORE I used the lenspen for final cleaning. Until now, I did not see any further damage when using the lenspen. The lenspen can't absorb too much dirt. It's OK for removing fingerprints but for larger amounts of smudge you should use some lens cleaning fluid. Also, the lenspen is helpless against layers of haze caused by mold or fungus, these have to be removed by other means.

When used correctly, the lenspen gives an even shine to the coating which no other cleaning method does.

for those of you with a darkroom, try using film cleaner to clean your lenses, it works wonderfully! Probably just very concentated alchool but it work great... Used it to clean my old zeiss lenses without any problems to the coating. The recomendation came to me from the guru of Contax camera repair Henry Scherer.