nikon geek

I would like to purchase a close-up filter for my Bronica's 150mm

lense so that I can photograph a close-up of a face. I would like to

purchase a B+W filter but am not sure whether or not to get a #1, #2,

#3, or #4. Does anyone know how to figure this out or have a

recommendation?

Thanks for your help!

Nathan

I know Tiffin sells them in sets of 1, 2, 4 the reason I mention this is you can get

some great shots with close up filters if you dont want to buy extension tubs or

bellows+rails

The numbers on the filter are the dioptre, sorry I dont know how close you can get

with the 150. I only had a set for my old 75mm lens (58mm filter size)

BTW you should be able to fill the frame using the 75 it will focus down to 2 feet, also

you will get more magnification using this lens with filters since the 150 can only

focus at over 6 feet

Ray

B+W uses "diopters" to identify the strength of the close-up lens. "Diopter" is the reciprocal value of the focal length in Meters. Thus, a #2 lens has a focal length of 0.5 Meters. If you attach a close-up lens to a lens set to infinity, it will reduce the focusing distance to the focal length of the close-up lens (independent of the main lens). Focusing with a #1 lens will start at 1m (3ft), a #2 lens will start at 0.5m (1.5ft), etc. For portraits even the #1 lens is to strong. For that purposes the #0.5 close-up lens would be best. It starts focusing at 2m (6ft) down to 0.86m (2.5ft). You can download the informations on B+W filters including a table with distances from http://www.schneider-kreuznach.com/pdf_filterkatalog.htm (scroll down for close-up details).