bronica RF645

kenneth_rowin

They seem to be having problems with the 135mm lens for the Bronica

RF645. The lens has been eliminated from the most recent ad in

Shutterbug. This seems rather strange. Why should this lens be so

difficult to produce? Or is the problem with the rangefinder

linkage? Any information? Will they be bringing out a similar lens

(150mm?) in the future?

Back in the middle of May I contacted Introphoto - Bronica's UK distributor - and was told that they expected to get their first shipment of the 135mm at the end of July. I shall be contacting them again in a couple of weeks to see if it has actually arrived and will post what they tell me to this thread. I have heard from several sources that this lens was not released when it was originally scheduled to be (last November) because Bronica decided that it required re-designing - however no-one seems to know the actual nature of the problem.

I was told by a Bronica rep about 6 weeks ago that that they were redesigning the lens and that it might be a shorter focal length like a 120. He wasn't sure when the lens would be available, but he thought it would be sometime this year. As already noted, designing a telephoto for a RF (especially a MF RF) is more challenging than with standard and wide angle lenses. The good news is that Bronica decided on redesigning this lens before introducing it.

I too hope that it isn't being re-designed as a 110 or 120mm. However if that is the case wouldn't it mean that Bronica will have to recall all the RF645s they have already sold for modification because the bright-line viewfinder system has been designed to match a 135mm lens?

By letter dated July 3, 2001, Tamron Bronica advised its North American distributors that the 135mm lens has been cancelled. Seems that they could not achieve sufficient focus accuracy, at least that was the reason stated. The letter states that they will be working on a replacement that is likely to be a 100mm f 4.5. I've seen the letter, so this is not a rumour. I have heard that 135mm lenses were shipped and distributed in Japan, but will not be available in the US. (That part is totally unconfirmed and is not reliable information.

My considerable experience with RF's has led me to the conclusion that the BronicaRF has generated way more interest than they expected, and Tamron needs to make certain their products are up to intense scrutiny. Excellent telephoto lenses for RF cameras are complex, considering the accuracy of the interface with the RF part of the camera and the alignment issues etc. Kudos to Tamron/Bronica for trying to doit right!