Hi

My girlfriend is currently in New York (I live in London) buying me a

Digital Rebel (hooray!) She was offered a 5 year 'international'

warranty for $59.99 which she did not get (but could go back and

buy). Having looked at the B&H website there is a 'Mack' extended

warranty for that price but there is no mention of it

being 'international'. So, I have a few questions:

Will Canon UK repair my camera if it breaks within 12 months, despite

the fact that it is effectively a grey market import?

Does anyone have any experience of buying a camera from B&H with this

warranty?

If I get the warranty, will I have to send the camera back to the US

if it breaks?

If it breaks within 12 months, could I ship it to Canon USA for

repair?

Lastly, does anyone have any other advise about warranty issues when

buying a camera in the US and bringing it back to London?

Many thanks as always

Sam.

She could call them (or I could and then call her) but she is a little suspicious of their motives! When buying the camera I had asked her to get two Lexar 256MB 16x CompactFlash Cardc with Write Acceleration (WA) Technology. The (very rude) guy in the shop had told her that these would not work and tried to sell her more expensive Sandisk cards. Now, unless I've messed up my research, that is a load of rubbish. So that's why I'm after a bit of 'independent' advise. I get the feeling B&H will just tell her whatever they think she wants to hear (despite their good rep).

You won't be able to get warranty service from Canon UK. Normal repairs that you pay for - possibly (but they might use some excuse about tiny differences in firmware such as UK vs US spellings to refuse them). You might get better luck dealing with Canon Belgium for repairs, although supposedly Canon are establishing a pan European service organisation.

Sam, not so much to your question, but the Lexar cards will work fine. I use the 512mb version. I have spent several Thousands at B& H with great results, but there is a reason I shop online which is because I do not want to hear a salesmen tell me what would work, I choose to do the research. What works for the salesmen is whichever company is paying the best incentives that week and it sounds like in might be Sandisk.

Actually, what Mitchell says is realistic and practical. We're not talking about film

cameras in this instance. Odd are, any digital camera one owns now won't be in use in

five years.

But, regardless, one should evaluate whether or not the Mack warranty is of any

worth. Personally, i believe these third-party extended things are a waste of money.

Check to see what the thing actually covers. I don't believe they cover any damage

due to accidental handling, so if something breaks because of surface damage, you're

out of luck. It's not a 'get out of jail free card.' During the period the manufacturer's

warranty is in effect, the 3rd-party thing is redundant, no? And, afterwards, there are

too many restrictions and clauses that pretty much eliminate any reason for having it.

And, then, even if all the conditions are met, chances are pretty good they won't stock

the parts you need. With digital, odds are the 'repairmen' at this 'other' facility won't

have the expertise to repair your product. And, finally, even if they can, it could take

months to get it back.

My feeling about 'gray market' is that you're effectively gambling. You save some

money on the initial purchase price. But, if something needs repair, you lose those

savings by possibly having to repair it at your cost. Over the past ten years, i've

bought many camera systems - 35mm, medium format, and a bit of digital. I've only

twice had to send anything in for repair - once under warranty, and once without. On

the item that was out of warranty, i actually had a Mack warranty, but the repair was

not eligible. I've paid for 3 Mack warranties in that time, and none have been used.

You should check Canon's website for 'official' information about gray-market goods,

as well as inquiring directly with B&H. Send them an email, so you'll have some

manner of documentation.

Actually, your girlfriend may not have understood what the salesman was saying

about the Lexar card. The card itself will work in a 300D/D-Rebel. However, the Write

Acceleration technology won't work in any Canon digital camera, including the 300D.

There's a page on the Lexar site that lists the camera manufacturers that Write

Acceleration supports, and Canon isn't listed.

So that may have been what the salesman was saying - not that the card won't work,

but that Lexar's Write Acceleration technology won't work. Given that, the SanDisk

alternative may indeed have offered better performance that a Lexar card.

Okay, I give up! Would someone please explain to me why my D300 will not be in use in 5 years? Does the camera have a built-in timer on it that self destructs after 60 months or what? Or is the real truth to the matter that it is indeed an entry-level consumer digicam which has a plastic bodie? Come on kids, I need some answers here. Did I really just go out and throw 1000 g's out the window?

Sam, don't worry. If you don't treat it like crap it will last for ages. With the B&H warranty issue I will tell you what I think. I enquired with them on the phone (I live in Australia) about the international warranty. The guy on the phone told me the 12 months warranty that Canon provides is only for the U.S. But if I take out the Mack extended warranty I can repair it in Australia (by Canon, or any "authorised" Canon repairer, including the first 12 months) and just send them the bill.I found this hard to believe and then enquired again and another person told me the first 12 months are international (so I was covered by Canon Australia) and the rest of the Mack period I will have to send it to the U.S. In other words FORGET IT! I think if it wrecks in the first 12 months take it to Canon and bring your receipt in case. I bet that most of the time Canon will repair it without any questions asked. I would not trust Mack warranties when it appears the ones selling you this have no idea about it themselves. Just buy it. I have used it and I think it is a great camera. And you won't have some clown dropping it from 12000 feet in the air to your front lawn. Your girlfriend won't charge you and all you need to do is give her a big cuddle and kiss to say thanks!

Everyone has been very helpful. I have never bought an extended warranty for anything in my life, because they always seem like a waste of cash. It would not suprise me if B&H made nearly as much profit from a $60 warranty as a $900 DRebel.

However in this instance I thought it might be worth it due to the high cost of the item and the fact that Canon UK might not touch it. Anyway, I'm sure it will work reliably for years ;)

Now I just can't wait until Monday when I can start using it!

Cheers

Sam.

• 2 weeks later...

Sam: I had the same question but for a Nikon... I exchanged emails with a guy in Mack... below is the relevant gist:

-------------------------

Hello!

I hope I am addressing to the correct email-id; if not please forward to the correct id.

I am looking to purchase a Nikon D70 in the very near future and I am also looking at extended warranties. I have a couple of questions that I hope you can answer:

Q: I will be relocating to India, if I have a problem with my camera while I am over there, how do I go about using my warranty? Should I ship the camera to your NJ store or do I get it serviced in India? Where in India? (I will be living in Bangalore)

A: Thanks for thinking about a MACK WARRANTY. If and when you need service in your country we will do one of two things

Either send you to an authorized Nikon repair center in India or we will issue a pick up via DHL to have the camera come to us in the USA for repair.

Q: Does your warranty cover Accidental Damage protection?

A: The warranty is for manufactures defects only not accidental damage.

Q: If there are defects within the the first year, should I send the camera to you or to Nikon?

--- There was no answer to this question ----

Thanks

Barry Warner, National Sales Manager

Mack Camera