polaroid type 55 film

erikj

Wonderful stuff. The prints don't have the tonal range of the negative. Also everyone says, and I agree, that the negative and print don't have the same asa. As I remember most people recomend 50 asa for the negative. The negative must be fixed in the field to get all the goop off. I usually carry a rubbermaid sandwitch box.

Costs like the earth.

Hi, Erik,

As you continue your research, you will hear of the famous "Polaroid P/N Clearing Bucket", for mixing your sodium sulfite solution to clear paste off of negatives.

I just received my shiny new bucket! ....purchased for $45.00 from B&H, and now I agree that assembling your own with sandwitch containers would probably be a more economical and handy approach for field work. (If you visit Zion National Park next winter, I'll be the guy stumbling around with a ridiculous white bucket.)

A friend of mine likes T55 for its smooth tonal characteristics, and he is more familiar

with B&W than I am.

I use T55 for proofing, not for the negative. I think the print ISO is closer to 80, and

the negative ISO is about 2 stops slower, but I've never done a critical test on negative

speed.

If you do shoot T55, there's no need to process it in field if you don't want to fuss

with the clearing chemicals at that time. The Polaroid holders let you remove the

exposed film pack without processing, and you just run the pack through the holder

again when you get back home.

I was considering quickload film for b&w and color in the 4x5, and then this film

struck me as an option. I think shooting it and maybe pulling the first one for a proof

might be a good way to go, while chucking the negative. It's a shame that the P&N are

not the same iso... I read a pretty new thread on photo.net where a guy was saying he

exposed the stuff as iso 50 and the neg and the print looked good�he didn't really

say they looked the SAME though. He went on to say that Polaroid may have altered

the film to work as it should... etc.

Anyway, so I have to get a bunch of soduim sulfite and wash it in there, after pulling

it, for about a minute and then wash it in water and use photoflo, etc? Is there any

agitation going on during all of this? I'm sure I can track down the exact workflow

around here somewhere.

Not that grain is an issue, even with 400 speed film in 4x5, but I am looking forward

to seeing this stuff printed big.

Also, does it react to filters like any other b&w film? I ususally shoot b&w pretty

heavily filtered.

I just got some film... I have yet to use it. I also picked up the SS. I just have to dig up

my photoflo. How about hardeners? In the official Polaroid workflow it doesn't

mention it. Will the film be prone to getting scratches and whatnot?