24mm R lens

After many years of faithful service, I'm retiring my Nikon 24mm 2.8;

it's taken too much abuse and it's falling apart.

Recently someone gave me an R4 body, which apart from some light

leaks that had to be fixed with electrical tape, works great. It

even works after I accidently dropped it on the sidewalk on the first

day out (initiation ritual, you understand).

My questions are, how good is the R 24mm, which version mounts on the

R4, and how much is it going to cost me?

The other way to go is the M 24mm, but I'm a little wary of the large

size, separate viewfinder and so forth. I've always liked using an

SLR for the 24mm length. Is the R version anywhere close to the M

version in quality? Is it going to be better than the Nikon AIS one?

Beau

Unfortunately the 24mm R is not one of its best. The one to get is either the current R 28mm or the 19mm current version. The 24mm is a Minolta design and dates from 1974. Most people acknowledge that it is outclassed by newer designs. It is OK but not really worth the price. Certainly you can see from the MTF charts that the 24mm ASPH M is much superior. In your shoes I would go for the current 28mm Elmarit-R which is exceptionally good and on a par with the current 28mm Summicron and Elmarit-Ms.

Robin Smith

The 24 R lens was initially made for Leitz by Minolta. It went through Leitz's QC checks and aperture rebuilds but optically it's about equal to a good sample of an older Minolta 24mm lens. Minolta has quit making this design, and their current 24mm lens is probably better in the corners and at close range. The current 24 R lens still uses the same design but Leica is making it now. I don't know how it compares with the Nikkor since I haven't used the R lens... the Nikkor's flare was a problem for me, and the R lens is much less likely to fall apart.

About 25 years ago I was poking around in my camera shop's "junk box" and ran across a couple of new Vivitar T4 adapters for Leicaflex SL for about $5 each. This was about the time Vivitar was closing out their TX lenses and I bought a new 24/2.8 for about $80.00. The T4 and TX were more or less compatible, for stop down metering anyway, on both my 'flex SL and R4s bodies. My wife could use the 24 on her Pentax by switching asdapters and I could use her very highly rated 105/2.8 Vivitar on my bodies. Truth was, the 105 Vivitar was a hell of a lot better lens than my 3 cam 90/2.8 Elmarit, better sharpness, better contrast, better bokeh.

But we're talking 24. I got an assignment to document the remodeling of a local mall. This involved before and after record shots, publicity shots of the progress to give the local papers, and brochures and ads of the finished mall. Probably 90% of those photos were shot with the 24. My 21 was too wide in most cases, making pictures that looked distorted. Within a year I had a call to do the same thing at another mall. That bargain lens put a lot of money in my pocket, and most of the shots were handheld at f/2.8! I find the 24 is a very handy focal length. A lot of people will take note of the "LEICA" on the front of your camera. Almost nobody will read the ring around your front element. Clients only care about results.

Unfortunately divorce entered my life and the 2 Vivitars moved away wearing their Pentax adapters.

Beau,

The 24R is a good lens, but as an older design it will not quite match the newest Leica designs. Ask yourself if you really need the latest equipment, after all, your Nikkor has been working perfectly and I would guess that the 24R is at least on par with the Nikkor.

I have owned one of those lenses and I have to say that it takes perfect pictures. For top performance you need to stop down a bit. This lens has one really big advantage: because everybody believes it's a bad lens (which it isn't) and because it's a Minolta design (which is not a bad thing in itself) it can be had relatively cheaply.

For some info on performance and for MTF graphs of this lens, you may want to check the latest R lens report by Erwin Puts on the Leica Camera website.

Erik,

The Nikkor WAS working perfectly. See <a href="http://www.photo.net/photo/1963581&size=lg">this photo</a>, and my explanatory comment under it, to find out what happened to that fine and faithful lens. It's just been through too much abuse, and I'd have to buy another Nikkor if I want to stick with that model (which I may do). I'm now thinking about getting the M version, though. One thing's for sure, I definitely need a 24mm, it's been my "signature" length forever. 28mm doesn't do it for me.

Beau, I own both the 24R and M. The M series ASPH lens is probably the best 24mm lens you can buy, and certainly one of the best M series lenses.

The 24R is close to the Nikon 24, I would think sharper in the centre and softer at the edges than the Nikkor. It is quite sharp in the close focusing range, but for some reason a bit soft at the edges at infinity.

It is hard to justify the cost difference other than the fact that like all R lenses the mechanical build quality is second to none.

Hey Beau that's a great pic. I agree with Jay, get another Nikkor. I sold mine some months ago for $250 in mint condition...

Either that or get a 25mm VC for your M... you can't rangefinder focus it though. 24mm Asph is just too pricey IMO.

Hi Beau.

The 24mm is my favorite focal lens. But to add to other opinion, it may be not the best lens for the R system.

However in every's day life of a photographer, it is all right. I recently replaced the item of 20 years by a more recent item (thanks to Ned Learned, Hi!) and I *feel* it performs better.

My advice is use fine grain film such as PRovia 100 or Velvia. As the field of view is pretty large and the deformations well controlled, you feel it is soft due to the grain of the film itself.

Why don't you have the seals replaced? As a DIY it should come to a reasonable price. Don't Sherry can spare a pack to you?

Give the Super Angulon 21/4 a try....

Cheers.