Now a Believer!

paul_darman1

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations on your Leica acquisition, Paul! Yes, there something to this Leica thing. It's called QUALITY.

Leica cameras and lenses are as close to photographic perfection as you can get, IMHO. The first time I picked up an MP with a 50mm f/1.4 lens attached, I was hooked - it was as solid as a miniature tank with the fit and finish of a Mercedes-Benz. The lens focus is silky smooth, the shutter is whisper quiet. The chromes that this camera and lens produces are in a class by themselves - they are simply mind blowing.

One thing I have noticed is that I will gladly bring my MP most everywhere because it is easy to carry and is simply fun to use. This camera will make you want to use it. Sometimes it is great to be free of the tonnage of my Nikon and medium format gear for light and fast work. Believe it or not, less gear can equal more photographs!

Some people malign Leica and Leica lovers because of the cost of the equipment. Can a person make good images with less costly equipment? Yes. It comes down to what you value and what brings enjoyment to your life. Some people have $7000 ATVs. Some have $25,000 Harleys. Some have $15,000 wave runners. Some of us have Leicas - I say "so what?"

Yes, Leicas are not cheap. But, as in all things, you get what you pay for. We live but once - if a Leica makes photography more enjoyable, I say why not?

<i>Take an algebraic approach to the question. The constant in the equation is the individual photographer, the variable becomes the equipment the individual has/chooses/prefers/understand/trusts/likes etc etc -..any more lessons in simple logic will have to be paid for .</i>

<p>The photographer is a constant only if he/she ceases developing new skills and a stronger vision, and such stagnation is a common result of focussing all energies on a gear obsession. Those who cease worrying about having the sharpest lens (and etc.) are more able to actually learn to be better photographers, to turn themselves into important variables rather than constants.

</i> <p>

<b> If Paul is happy with he's choice of gear, that's all what matters. </b><p>

True. But that wasn't all that mattered apparently. If he posts a photo as an example of an

excellent photo, and people disagree, he (and others) should be mature enough to accept

this without whining about how people are jealous or stupid. It just makes them look

foolish.