Holga for street photography?

carbonado

One thing about the Holga is that no one seems to take it seriously on the street. This allows them to be at ease and gets them in a more natural state. The focusing scale of close and far leaves little to be desired. But this little plastic camera still is fun to use, and the results can be astounding.

Regards

<i> One thing about the Holga is that no one seems to take it seriously on the street.

</i><p>

I don't know where you live, but I don't know anyone in a major metro area who takes

"seriously" a person or camera seen on the street -- of any brand. But a tall, well-

dressed caucasian walking around Arequipa, Peru, with any kind of camera will be

subject to considerable interest. Geography/culture matter more than camera

equipment, but even then, who cares if you're taken seriously or not? If someone can't

get the shot wanted it's usually not a consequence of how a camera is 'taken' as much

as the ability of the photographer.

<i>after I take each exposure I look at the back of the camera, (checking film

winding), a lot of people ask if it is a digital camera.</i><p>

Really? After you take each exposure with a Holga you look up to find a gaggle of

people watching you several of whom immediately ask you if you are shooting with a

digital camera? Wow! You must shoot in an interesting area!

<i>I don't know where you live, but I don't know anyone in a major metro area who takes "seriously" a [...] but even then, who cares if you're taken seriously or not? If someone can't get the shot wanted it's usually not a consequence of how a camera is 'taken' as much as the ability of the photographer.</i><br><br>

I believe that he was implying that it was a good thing that the holga is not taken seriously. People tend to be intimidated by the looks of big MF rigs. The holga is nice and inconspicuous.

on the point of being taken seriously or not with a holga...i find that if i bring out my nikon in the presence of others (with the intention of using them as subjects), people start acting like they're doing a screen test for an upcoming quentin tarantino film, and i have to bide my time again until the opportunity for a candid shot resurfaces. but with the holga, which maybe doesn't have so much a 'disarming effect' as a 'lack of respect' effect on people, would-be subjects tend to remain candid and the result is a more natural looking scene. so in the case of not being taken seriously (like you're going to ask for a subject's approval of your equipment before you take a picture anyway. uh...excuse me, sir, do you like this camera?), carrying around a silly looking black mass made entirely of electrical tape can be a good thing if one is attempting to get non-posed shots with their holgster. it's all about the results, if you like what the holgness can produce, right?

<i>if i bring out my nikon in the presence of others (with the intention of using them

as subjects), people start acting like they're doing a screen test for an upcoming

quentin tarantino film, and i have to bide my time again until the opportunity for a

candid shot resurfaces </i><p>

That's partly a function of one's ability to make people sufficiently at ease to shoot

candidly, which in part involves correct body language and having the camera out a

while before shooting.

• 2 months later...
i agree. having the camera out for a while is key. with friends, i've even encouraged them to play around with the camera themselves and snap some exposures (this practice however has a tight correlation with phantom "down the pants" shots that tend to surface during development).

• 4 years later...
  • 5 months later...
<p>my favorite thing about the holga is that since you don't really focus and the lens is fairly wide angle you don't really have to put it up to your eye and fuss so much over framing either. with subjects that may not want to be photographed i have just acted as if i were walking by holding my camera at chest level as if i were just carrying it, then squeeze off a quiet "snap" when at about 15ft distance to subject. it has worked well with street people that otherwise would want to panhandle money...that i didn't have to give. other times i was happy to give a guy a buck for a shot.</p><div>00TOn5-135791684.jpg.70c4ea1c02b8277c97587eeec0e4e16e.jpg</div>

• 1 year later...