OM-2n shutter speeds in off position

carlos_borges

Hello to you all.

I read on the OM-2n manual that with camera in off position the

shutter speeds go to "maximun 1/30s" to save batteries.

What I want to understand is shutter speeds really varying from

1/1000s to 1/30s (depending on a set aperture)?? If you do have any

experience with this fact, please reply and let us know what you

experient.

Thanks

The OM2 and OM2N, when in "OFF" position, provide OTF autoexposure control just as they would in AUTO, except that the longest speed is limited to 1/30 second rather than the 2-3 minutes you can get in the dark in AUTO.

Maitani's theory here was that the camera should always be ready for instant use, whether on or off. He didn't believe in shutter release locks for the same reason. So, if you press the release in the OFF position, the meter turns on as the mirror rises, it reads the light off the film and controls the exposure automatically up to 1/30 second. The limit was put there to protect you against running the batteries out on a 2 minute exposure if the release should be accidentally be pressed with the camera in a case or gadget bag.

I hope this is clear.....

rick :)=

There is no OFF position on the OM2SP. If you fire it off after the display has timed out (which is pretty quick), it goes at full AUTO.... long accidental exposures are possible. For this reason plus the camera's general issues with battery drain, an OFF switch would have been a nice thing to have on the SP.

:)=