Crown graphic and kalart rangefinder adjustment for the 47mm SA

george_verbryck

I am wondering if it is possible to adjust the kalart rangefinder for

the 47mm super angulon? I searched but came up empty and I have

uninstalled the finder off my camera and would like to get an idea

before I put it back together. I would love to use a rangefinder with

this lens as it can be difficult to focus. Cheers George

Hi -

If there are no focusing cams, then the rangefinder can work with only one lens at a time. You can recalibrate yourself by eye (directions at graflex.org,) or you can have it professionally done on an optical bench. Fred Lustig, in Reno, NV., can (probably) do it for you at a resonable price. <br><br>Heller<br><a href="http://hollywoodscriptanalysis.com">HollywoodScriptAnalysis.com</a>

The top and side mounted rangefinders are way different. <BR><BR>The top type uses a cam.<BR><BR>? The side type as two adjustments; or more. They are varied for the focal length of the lens. Typical instructions give "trial settings" of the two settings; for different focal length lenses. Most charts go down to 100 or 90mm. <BR><BR>What type of rangefinder does George have? top or side?

Based on the question, it should be a side mounted RF (Kalart!)

The kalart rangefinder is usually adjusted based on 2 screws in the rangefinder housing and 1 eccentric screw on the rail where the front standard is.

While infinity adjustment is possible (just by setting the eccentric screw to the right place for the 47mm lens). The adjustment to 4 feet and 15 feet would be more problematic.

This is because with a 47mm lens, you would have to move only a few mm to get focusing on 15 feet and 4 feet. The 2 screws in the housing would not be easily adjusted to allow 15 feet focus (which reads as something like 2mm or so displacement on the rail from infinity, which translates to a very small angular displacement in the rangefinder) to be coincident on the rangefinder.

IMHO, for such wide angles, it is preferable to just use scale focusing and DOF to get the necessary focus.