Want Lenscap for 'Cron

billsr

My new 50mm f2 Summicron came with a cheesy plastic lenscap that pops

off at the slightest nudge. Each time I open the ever ready case,

the cap is loose inside the case and falls out. Does there exist a

39mm screw in cap made of metal like some old ones I've seen? I'd

like to know of a source of one in clean condition. Best regards, Bill

The problem with the screwin caps is the wear that ensues on the threads, taking off the black. I have the same 'cheesy' lenscap, and had the same problem. I initially replaced the cap with a 48mm binocular lenscap that goes over the hood, but finally fixed the Leica cap by cutting a small piece of plastic and forcing it between the plastic 'spring' and the outer rim. This forces the grooved part to firmly engage the filter threads on the lens, and in fact you can now pick up the camera by the lenscap, and it won't come off. (But make sure you have your hand directly underneath if you try that.)

I want to thank all who contributed help for my dilemma. Ian, I will try your "fix" as well. I located a metal cap at B&H for $7.95 (I was looking in the wrong place, under Leica). I have saved enough cash on the generic brand cap over the Leica plastic cap that I can use the difference to support this forum by becoming a patron! My check will go in tomorrows' mail. Thanks again to all who commented. Best regards, Bill

Protective filters are no vaccine for dirt, or airborn pollutants (sp?). The good ones use loose fitting glass to account for thermal expansion. So, one should clean the actual lens once-in-a-while. Screw-in caps do not fall off, and are cheap anyway. Nothing gets through the threads.

Lee, I already have a BW UV Filter, and I'd like to keep the "never ready" case to prevent the finish on my MP from getting bashed on rocks, trees etc. when I'm out fishing and hiking or biking. The case is a hell of a lot lighter and handier than a full size carrying case, and accessability is better than either my Billingham or Lowepro bags (both fine products!) I seldom go on exclusively photo expeditions, I'm always "multi-tasking" so I can't always give my full attention to the protection of my camera to the "slings and arrows of outrageous fortune" and I don't want to carry a huge kit, either. Apologies to Mr. Shakespeare! Also, the bottom half ot the case has a nice hump in it that nicely relaces the unwieldy $85.00 Leica handgrip! Best regards, Bill

My old Summicron collapsible came with a screw-in lens cap that I thought was the cat's pajamas until I realized that I was missing a lot of good shots unscrewing the damned thing. Then I bought a UV filter that remains on the lens most of the time. If I have time I usually remove it but if I'm in a hurry I get the picture. Lucky I kept all the screw-ins I accumulated over the years because they have become good trading stock, and if I sell or trade I usually include a screw-in if I have one. I have some snap-ins for some of my Nikon lenses but they are used only when the lens is in storage. Except for some lenses that were not so hot when I got them, even my fifty year old glass is in immaculate condition.