Shooting locations in the Texas area

scott___1

Hello all-

<p>

I will be moving to Austin, Texas very shortly and would like any suggestions on shooting locations. I got some ideas from rearching old articles in National Geographic, Travel magazines, etc., and I hope some of you might be able to further help me out. I shoot landscapes, flowers, but not much wildlife. I guess on a weekend I could travel around 800 miles round trip. Hiking, biking, and camping are no problems.

<p>

Thanks for any suggestions.

Scott

<p>

Thanks for any suggestions, as I have never been to Texas.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I will be leaving from Florida, so if anyone has any suggestions for stops along the way I would be grateful. I will tailor my trip around the stops, but don't want to go too far out of the way. I have a week to get to Austin, which leaves my plenty of leasure time.

<p>

Thanks again.

Scott

Hey Scott.

<p>

I recently relocated from Southern California to Dallas area, so I can relate to you. Fortunately for you, from what I've seen of Austin, it's more scenic than the DFW area (IMHO). I don't know too much about the area, but I'll throw my two cents in.

<p>

The river (the name escapes me at the moment) area that cuts thorough the middle of town is pretty scenic. For landscapes, Austin is not too far from the Texas "Hill Country". You'll have to get a Texas travel guide to find the exact locations.

<p>

Thankfully, Texas is great for wildflowers!! Shooting them was my last photo project. Unfortunately, you've already missed most of them for this season. From what I've seen, their peak is from March to early May. Right now, there are just a few examples left in the DFW area.

<p>

If you're into shooting architecture, the UTA campus is pretty decent. Also I have some great chromes of the capital building at knight that I have yet to print!.

<p>

I wish that I could be of more help.

<p>

Have fun and good shooting.

<p>

PS

<p>

I almost forgot, make sure that you make it down to San Antonio (it's only about 80-100 miles south of you). There are some great shots to be had along the River Walk.

Scott, Congratulations on your relocation. You'll love Austin. Sheldon, too bad you had to move to Dallas. I grew up in Central Texas (Kerrville) and left Austin for the San Francisco Bay Area three years ago.

<p>

Fist off, catch the bats under the Congress Ave. bridge. Just watch out for guano (ask a local) as they take off. Next, go to Taco Cabana and get some fajitas.

<p>

You'll have to wait until next spring for wildflowers, but the wildflower locations are some of you best shooting spots any time of years. I'll give you a brief list here. If you want some more spots just email me and I'll send a more comprehensive list.

<p>

Hamilton Pool: about 20 minutes west of Austin and absolutely gorgeous.

Enchanted Rock Natural Area: outside Fredericksburg about 90 miles from Austin

Lost Maples Natural Area: in the middle of nowhere about three hours west of Austin. Take Hwy. 290 to Fredericksburg, then go south on 16 through Kerrville, and take a right on 337 at Medina. Stop at the Lost Maples General Store in Utopia for refreshments and directions. Great hiking and camping.

<p>

And for the best wildlfower shots in the spring: Willow City Loop outside Fredericksburg.

<p>

For longer trips, head west on I-10 and go to Fort Davis. Stay at the state park and visit the McDonald Observatory. There are some beautiful mountains in that area. From there you can head south to Big Bend National Park or north to the Guadalupe Mountains National Park. Both are excellent, and the Guadalupe Mountains has a canyon with great leaves in the sprint. However, Lost Maples is much closer and will just as spectacular on film.

<p>

Happy shooting.

• 11 years later...

<p>I am a native Texan thats traveled the state a fair amount.</p>

<p>The state capital building in Austin is somewhere you could spend an entire day both inside and out taking awesome photos. My favorite time of the year to visit the capital is during the spring time when the dogwoods are blooming.</p>

<p>The Tower at the University of Texas in Austin is also famous for photographs. Street photography on the campus and nearby areas would also be fun. 6th Street, Lake Travis, Colorado River.</p>

<p>The Riverwalk in San Antonio which is two hours south of Austin is also fun to visit and photograph. You may even go through there on your way to Austin. The Alamo is in the Riverwalk area.</p>

<p>East Texas, which is where I am originally from, is awesome when the leaves are turning colors in the Fall. County fairs and rodeos are fun to visit and photograph.</p>

<p>On your way to Texas you could take the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway across Lake Pontchartrain to New Orleans. There is a lot of photo opportunities there like the French Quarters and Jackson Square. You could visit old plantations on your way out of New Orleans back up to Baton Rouge to resume your trip. The Melrose Plantation is one of my favorites. It was a working plantation and home for artists. Clementine Hunter, a famous black artist, was originally a worker on the plantation who developed her artist skills while being around other famous artists who would temporarily reside at the plantation from time to time. Between Nachitoches/Melrose Plantation area and New Orleans you need to stop and take a boat tour on the Atchafalaya Swamp.</p>

<p>Crawfish boils, sugarcane fields, rice farms, and alligators are also typical of Louisiana that you could photograph. Oh yeah, and don't forget to eat some boudain while you are in Louisiana.</p>

<p>Have fun on your way to join us in Texas!</p>