Santa Rosa Is. (CA, Channel Islands) wildlife?

bill_schmidt

We'll be taking a one day boat ride, with hikes on the island, the

week between Christmas and New Years. Anyone know if there is a

chance (without a WHOLE lot of effort - I'll be with others,

non-photographers) of any wildlife photography opportunities, like

seals, sea lions, pelicans? I need to know whether I should schlepp

my big glass and monopod.

Any other ideas for good spots for landscape/seascape possibilities

are also welcome!

Since the islands are a sanctuary you won't be able to just wander off on your own, but there are some possibilities. Seals and sea lions can definitely be found on shore in certain places. The rare animals like the tiny endemic fox are awfully hard to find, I'm sure. I love the Channel Islands, I scuba dive out there whenever I can, though I haven't done alot of hiking. Here's a site that has some quickie info on all the islands (maybe the people you're already using for your trip): http://www.truthaquatics.com/<div>006nuR-15731884.jpg.18ffd2b228e743e3575a8da1f6dec950.jpg</div>

Talking about Channel Island! I got info that winter is best time for wildlife at San Miguel Island (the western most island). I plan to camp there but no service from both island packer and truthaquatics during this winter. I am not sure about santa rosa, but definitely santa miguel is great place to view wildlife.

anybody with private boat who wants to go to santa miguel please contact me. We'll split the cost.

San Miguel is indeed incredible for wildlife; six species of pinnipeds, at times numbering in the thousands, hang out at Adam's Cove on the far western tip. Important to note, though, is that you cannot approach that cove closely or land there, because you'd hate to start a pinniped stampede.

Consider it likely that on a day trip out to any of the islands, you will see something, usually sea lions and harbor seals. It's not a guarantee that you'll see large numbers or that you'll be close, but I made many trips out to Santa Cruz Island one summer and more often than not saw at least the two more common pinnipeds. It's also very likely that you will see a variety of seabirds, including brown pelicans. Look for the white-stained rocks to spot the birds when they're not in flight, and look for the Pelicans skimming the water before they climb up to dive in for food.

The problem may be that, depending on what hikes there are, you might be more likely to see the sea life from the boat on the way in, and those vibrations aren't great for photography.

I'm jealous. Wonderful place, the Channel Islands...

Andrew,

yeah... I heard viewing wildlife at San Miguel during winter is incredible expererince. I searched Island Packers and Truth Aquatics' schedule and none of them offer service to san miguel. Do you know where/how i can rent a boat (with the captain of course) that can take us to that remote island.

Q-Tuan-Luong is also interested in this trip. Any info is appreciated. I don't mind to organize but dunno how/where/what/ as i never experience renting a boat before. If there is any photogs here happen to be a boat captain who might be interested taking this trip that would be great.

Best regards,

Edward Ng

(edwardng.net

> Hi Edward--

> I just noticed your post in photo.net about trips out to San Miguel...

> I've been out there many times with Truth Aquatics for diving, but not for

> any land-based stuff. They were always 3 day trips, since it does take

> about 1/2 day to get there. If you hear about any trips or need someone

> to share costs I'd be interested!

>

> Best regards--

> Andrew Dawson

Folks - I used to know a couple folks who did sailing charters out to the islands. Email me at mpgoff (at) comcast (dot) net if you'd like me to try to get you in touch with them.

Going out there in winter can be rougher, because of the risk of Santa Ana winds.