Hi there !

Well I'm finally the owner of a Leica M6 TTL (Thanks to Jack Pien on

this forum !) .. Of course I need a lens since it would be a very

expensive paperweight without one. I'm heading toward a 50mm

summicron. I've tried one when I first rented a M6 with the focusing

tab and the removable hood. I liked it. I've notice that the new

summicron don't have a tab but rather a red dot ... Is this for

focusing ?? Is it convenient VS the tab ?? At what serial number did

they stop including the tab on the 'cron ?

Thanks for your help !

Fred

A Summilux or a Noctilux would be nice, but you're also talking about several hundred additional dollars to have one, in the case of the Summilux, or an additional grand in the case of the Noctilux.

Have you considered other focal lengths? My first Leica lens was 35mm Summicron aspherical and its still my mainstay lens. Well worth the investment.

I doubt if most folks shoot all that many photos at apertures of f/2 or f/1.4. If fast was all that important in this age of quality higher speed and less grainy films then we'd see a lot more high speed lenses on the market. Manufacturers really try to make what sells best. The over all market is flooded with relatively slow speed zooms. A 50/1.4 gives you very little depth of field at normal indoor shooting distances, and costs considerably more than an f/2. And if you do start shooting at f/1.4 with your 50 on an asssignment what are you supposed to do when you want to change to a 21 or 90? Life is full of compromises but the superb sharpness and rendition of an f/2 Summicron shouldn't be one of them.

The image in this <a href=http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-

fetch-msg?msg_id=006mAT>thread</a>is a later series 50 f2 cron @

f2 1/30 handheld. Notice the dof fall off in the table grain on the right

side. My hands are too large to comfortably use the tab lense and I also did

not like the clip on hood or its interference in the finder. Paid a local dealer

$375 US for this one in mint condition...jf

Albert/Peter, thanks for the picture. W/ some more overtime and luck, I hope to join the Cron crowd soon.<br><br>

Jerry, I remember seeing that fantastic still life. Just superb contrast and sharpness. I just got into Leica photography and my hands are rather large as well. The tab is a bit hard for me to get used to...I think I would be looking for a modern Cron as well.

Beautiful pictures.I Like that reflection Albert.

I have a ´cron and a ´lux, and there is no comparison about plasticity, if I can call it plasticity, I prefer the ´cron, although images of ´lux at 1.4 and 2 work so fine if you look for isolation at center of frame with a high contrast, I don´t like mid range of ´lux (2.8 to 16) too flatty and no roundness of image.

About tab: I have a non tab ´cron and I´m very used to it, lately Tom Gallagher let me use his tabed one and found it very practical and faster to focus at closer distances (I have small hands).

Fred: If 50/2 is the lens you are going for, get an older version with a tab. I said this before and will say it again: the group of people who like the one with the tab is nuts. The focusing is much easier and faster with the tab.

Wentong, I don't really think I am nuts but will take your advice into consideration when I hopefully one day can spring the cash for the Cron. I only own one Leica lens (the Summarit that came w/ my free M3) and it is tabbed...coming from a SLR world, maybe I need more time to adjust to the tab.

I've got your solution: Get one with a tab and one without. Figure out which one you like least, and send it to me.

But seriously, I already have a tabbed Summicron f2, and wouldn't part with it for anything. Despite being one of the oldest lenses I own, it produces more pleasant images wide open than any other normal lens I have, for any film format. With the possible exception of a Fuji 150 I use with 4X5...