Why do you love Leica?

ben_goren

I don't love my Leica but I'm very fond of it :-)

I like the look of it, for starters. My M3 has plenty of dents yet still looks like the precission instrument it is. I can stand in the middle of a busy street taking pictures of people with it and they just ignore me because it's a 'funny old camera' and I must be harmless. If I try the same thing with an Eos I get hostile glares.

It can take very sharp images if I get things right.

It's actually cheap to own because, so far as I can see, I could get back most of what I paid for it without much difficulty if I ever did want to sell it.

What's not to like?

Love..sort of a strong word for a piece of gear.

Okay, i'll play.

It's the history, the romance, the legends who have used it,quality of build, the quality lenses,simple total control, all mechanical, reliability,the myth. And i payed a lot of money for it( almost as much as my digi, which will be out of date soon, like my computer) There, a few thought.

"Come on...he's a fun character." I like the minds on this forum.

Agreed, we need more like him, leica usage or not. A lawyer shouldn't be easily insulted. Afterall, they use semantics all the time, no?

I PREFER (not love, how could one love a Snap-On wrench, don't ask) Leicas because I travel (need compact gear, hell, I don't even use/bring hoods), and I DEMAND precision, perfomance, and good work from everything I use and everyone I work with, and I work in a dangerous business. You have 30 psi of AIR in your tires; I work with 3000 psi (about 200 Bar for the rest of you) of hydrocarbons in some processes. I'm the best pre-start-up, test run inspector/engineer. I expect my tools to be the best.

No one has died on my watch. We had two fires: one on my watch when someone decided to put out the fire with water on a hot (600C) flange (no injuries), and another when they refused my recommendations (one person badly burned). I choose my tools pragmatically. Nothing more, nothing less. This is why I choose Leica, and used it on the job for inspection reports because the ones I had (battery free no longer) were allowed in hazardous areas. I use a SWC now for that duty.

Chill and enjoy the diversity.

Please

Me, I do love my Leica. This morning, when we woke up, it was holding its head (Summicron, as I recall) in hand. I knew something was wrong. I made us some coffee, then asked, What's bothering you? Turns out it was feeling a little guilt about not being married and all that. (Late serial number. I wasn't looking for a young camera, it just happened that way.) Now I don't know what to do.<p>

I can't really marry it. Not even in San Francisco. It's a camera. Says it feels used. I admit I use it every chance I get. Can't resist. But that's <i>because</i> I love it, not because I don't. I'd like to keep things going just the way they are with us, but I'm afraid that's not to be. It wants resolution. And now, to top it off, it's starting to imagine that I'm looking at digital on every street corner. Maybe sometimes, but looking isn't the same as touching, is it?<p>

As to why I love it - its a form and function thing, I think. I confess I entertain notions of having little Minoxes with it. Wish I knew where this would end.

Because it doesn't make me feel as bad for spending what I spent on Canon gear? (!!!).

Seriously, because a Leica is small, light, quiet, yet superiorly usable, and has those amazingly good lenses... Now if only I could afford an MP with a Summicron 50/2.

Talking about the M bodies here- just the right size (pocketable- used to smuggle body & lens into Royal Albert Hall concerts in different pockets); timeless design (sorry not the M5); highly ergonomic; reliable; backwards/ forwards compatibility with lenses; discreet; optics with character; "Leica" engraving on top plates!

• 1 month later...

What's to love about a Leica (specifically the MP)?

1. The craftsmanship - quality that is unequalled;

2. The design - functional brilliance;

3. The viewfinder - without peer;

4. The build - built to last a lifetime;

5. The feel of the camera - feels good in the hand;

6. The cloth shutter - nearly silent operation;

7. The cloth shutter - nearly instantaneous operation (no "lag time");

8. The lenses - blow away all other 35mm lenses and most med. format;

9. The size - a true "coat pocket camera" that is highly portable;

10. The weight - allows you to travel lightly with 2, 3 or 4 lenses;

11. The results - produces mind blowing negs/chromes;

12. Ease of operation - easy to learn to use, no menus to navigate;

13. Low profile - doesn't look expensive, easily concealed;

14. Encourages an introspective approach to making photographs;

15. Value - as "new" prices go up, your gear holds its value;

16. The regret factor - you will never regret "going Leica" -and-

17. The fun factor - LEICAS ARE AN ABSOLUTE JOY TO USE.

• 5 years later...

<p>I own an M8.2 with Summicron 1:2/35. And, I can say, that this camera is outstanding. Reason? The images have a look that can only be associated with a Leica. The pictures are crisp and the color/saturation is exemplary. All I can really say, is that if you can get one, try it. You won't look back i promise. I've user canons and Nikon, P&S's and everything in between. RF will grab you and you'll be hooked for life.</p>

<p>Joe</p>